LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Adapter Leaking Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Adapter Leaking Coolant?

Hello again!

Another day, another query for me...

I noticed a small (palm size) puddle of coolant on the ground and when I went underneath of the car to look where it was coming from, I noticed it was from the engine oil cooling adapter, or so I think. I looked around the area as best I could and didn't find anywhere else "wet," nor did I find trails of coolant running down. While the car was running, I didn't see coolant dripping down from another spot on to the engine oil cooling adapter so I am assuming it's coming from the spot circled in red (see pictures below, different pan angles). Some questions here:

1. What flows through that system (engine oil cooler and adapter)? Is it oil or coolant?

2. If it is not coolant, then how did it get in there and what could be the problem?

3. Is it an easy fix? I am assuming it's probably the gasket (or O-ring, not sure what's in there) that needs to be replaced right?

Thank you in advanced for any answers and/or suggestions you may have!

Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler Adapter Leaking Coolant?-lr3eocl1.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

First, I would be sure it is leaking from here and not somewhere up above and just dripping from this spot because it is the lowest point. There are lots of areas above this that are prone to coolant leaks (thermostat and bleeder valve come to mind) and could be leaking down here.

Can't really speak to the oil cooler without getting under there and taking a look. Usually how these work is that coolant flows through it and back to the radiator to cool down the oil. Have you checked the two connections (coolant in and coolant out) on the rear side?

The following users liked this post:
Porksquid (09-11-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Someone else has had this issue before as well. No fix listed, but might be worth getting in touch with Rufflyer.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-cooler-72714/

The following users liked this post:
Porksquid (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses. I was able to actually follow the leak a little higher than originally suspected. It is actually coming from the bottom-left of the where the water pump meets the engine. I wasn't able to see more without removing a whole bunch of stuff, but from what I can see, the only other thing above the water pump is the thermostat housing, which is all clean and dry (meaning it probably isn't that) so I will have the water pump checked. Again, thanks for the replies.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Porksquid
Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses. I was able to actually follow the leak a little higher than originally suspected. It is actually coming from the bottom-left of the where the water pump meets the engine. I wasn't able to see more without removing a whole bunch of stuff, but from what I can see, the only other thing above the water pump is the thermostat housing, which is all clean and dry (meaning it probably isn't that) so I will have the water pump checked. Again, thanks for the replies.
in case you are not sure, the water pump is not behind the cooling fan, but to the left. My bet is the water pump.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:38 PM
Winching
Received 105 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Coolant temp sensor

Same problem. Folllowed it to the coolant temp sensor next to the thermostat I think it was around 127,000. At that time so i replaced the whole housing. I got a new thermostat and sensor in the deal, plus it is not 8 year old plastic under the hood any more (at least not around the thermostat)

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Jeff

Old 10-05-2016, 03:59 AM
Drifting

Ok, quick update, this isn't official BUT, I've actually traced it to the bottom left of the waterpump, which is directly above where I had though it was coming from. I haven't fixed it yet, but the leak is quite slow and have been using another car for longer runs. Thanks again for the input!!! Will update again when it is fixed so I know for sure where it was coming from.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Update: Changed the water pump and no more leaking.