LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on Purchase of 2005 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion on Purchase of 2005 LR3

I am an avid LR lover and have had a few Discos and Range Rovers. Currently syill have a few as well. I have an opportunity to buy a 2005 with 109,*** on it for around $6500. The issues are the suspension is in fault with the text book symbol and the transmission is slipping.

The tranny when driving will rev and then hit into gear, I am thinking either fluid or possibly the wandering shifter but no guarantee.

The suspension I think will be like any of the others, either a leaking bag, bad compressor, cracked line. I would not know most of this unless I bought it and searched for it.

Am I on the right track here? It is a family member who does not know cars at all but did have service doen to it at an independent shop but not a LR shop specifically.

I always value this forums opinion and thank you in advance.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If you do not want it, PM me with the details, I would be interested.

It will probably take some time to sort out the issues, but it should be possible. If you do the work yourself, or a solid indy is should not break the bank.

I would be curious on the maintenance records and features of the vehicle such as NAV, locking rear diff, and the general condition of the vehicle, does it look like it has been maintained well and so on.

Last edited by unseenone; 06-15-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I am still thinking about getting it but as soon as I decide not to I will let you know. It is located in Salt Lake City FYI.

The overall condition is very good. It had some major engine work done of some sort a couple years ago by the dealer under warranty, I do not know what the issue was.

I know I can figure them out eventually, the transmission worried me a little since it could be something major, but even at the price I would get it the replacement would still be worth it. It has NAV and everything and is loaded with everything but I do not know about the locking diff.

I kind of was hoping for some more info from the forum on the issues.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Trans could be as simple as a frozen linkage at the trans, tune download of the TCM and PCM, or need a complete overhaul/replacement.
Eas could be a sensor, compressor, count on both.
I don't see a lot of air spring failures in my neck of the woods though the struts do tend to rust under the air spring around standard ride height.
There are tons of failure possibilities. If you are mechanical none of them are extremely difficult and can be addressed as they arise.
Look back a few months/years in the LR3 section on this and other forums you should find the info you're looking for.
Biggest problem for you will be accessing trouble codes and referencing them when you need to..
If you're not mechanical and will be relying on someone else to repair, expect to be into this vehicle for 15-20k.

Cheers

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 06-17-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the reply. I am very mechanical and have saved many Rovers from the scrap pile. I think I going to pick this one up and see what happens. The suspension does not scare me much since while it looks complicated it is fairly simple, just find the leak and fix it.

The transmission is a little more worrysome since it is controlled by so much electronics. I am hoping it is the linkage but it does the rev up between shifts as well, which is why I think it is popping out of gear. When it hits it hits fairy hard, no slipping like a low fluid tranny would.

I will update once I get it and figure it out.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not worry at all about transmission, is a simple fix. I got under the car and simply cleaned and lubricated the linkage and my transmission acted like new. Car would sometimes not start in park, and had to shift in the "sport/manual" modes, but someone suggest I checked the linkage, clean it, and lubricate it and problem was solved.

I bought an 05 in 2010 for $12,900 with 97k miles. Its got 118k miles now. I've done no work whatsoever, besides oil changes, battery, just simple stuff. Not even brakes yet! And the cars running good. Mine currently has a rough idle, but was told is probably a simple fix(possibly engine diode, 20 bucks). I suspect air filter because the one in the truck is the original and looks dirty as h*ll.

I periodically get air suspension fault, but believe it to be a height sensor, as the air struts and lines were apparently changed right before I bought it with newer, but used parts and air compressor seems to be running perfectly fine.

I've had countless error lights and messages but all seem to go away on their own after a stop and restart engine. Just began having a alarm system error today, but imagine it's a simple fix from what I have read.

At $6500, even if you need to overhaul the entire air suspension it's still a great purchase. You'll love the car. Mines a SE with V8 engine, has a lot of pickup for a heavy SUV. First Land Rover and happy, gas mileage could be better but seems to be pretty good, I won't lie I like to drive it fast and I average 16.7 MPG which is great for what the vehicle is.

Transmission is a high end transmission known for lasting a outstanding length of time.

Last edited by bmartindale; 06-19-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased an 2005 LR3 this year and paid $12,900 with 138,000 km. The vehicle is in excellent condition but we have been having the same problem with the shifter/tranny. It seems when decelerating the transmission would slip into neutral and then catch hard with a bang. Came across this thread today and was wondering if anyone figured out the problem?