LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Power window help needed

My driver window abruptly stopped working. I assumed regulator motor but was hoping for a corroded switch. My controls work on other windows but the driver window.

Today I took the door card off and removed the switch, cleaned up up the Connectors and Wam-o! Nothin.

When I press the driver side window switch I hear the motor click so assuming it's the culprit.

Question is: I see on the cubby manual that you need to remove the window and a,k that jazz. I can't do it myself. Don't have the courage. But it almost looks like the motor can be swapped out relatively easy with three hex screws.

Anyone know if this is true ? I see the motor available for under $200 and would love avoid taking this to my mechanic.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The window is held in by one single large white clip, you can do it.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default bang on the motor with the engine running

Below is a link to a number of pdf's, one of which is a wiring diagram for the power windows. You may not need it now as the problem is probably the motor but for your info anyway.

You might try tapping the motor with a small hammer while you operate the power window switch. I suggest this as the motor might just start to work. If so, this will tend to suggest that the problem is a dead spot in the motor and hence replacing the motor is probably the correct solution.

Also do this with the engine running as system voltage will tend to be at a maximum relative to engine off. If the motor is tired, an extra volt or so is sometimes all that is needed to get it to rotate.

Alternatively, there is a wiring concern and that will be difficult and time consuming to find.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Power Window and Door Lock Circuits

Old 06-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can i replace JUST the motor for the front driver window without removing the window?

Having a hard time finding the regulator motor and regulator for under $300 where as I can get a motor for a hundred bones.

Again , just want to know if it's simple as removing door card (already did that) removing the three torx screws on the motor, and swapping it. Will the window coming crashing into the door frame?

Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default duct tape the window

I have no experience with the power window motors but I would suggest that getting the door card off which you have already done is the most difficult part of the exercise.

If you are worried about the glass dropping, tape it in place with masking or duct tape to hold it up.

Did you try banging/tapping on the window motor with the engine running to determine if the window motor starts to function again?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Try this character... 270 576 7922

Old 12-31-2018, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to ask if there was any resolution to the window motor issue. I believe my '05 LR3 SE is showing the exact same symptoms and I was looking at assembly replacement options, but couldn't find the motor itself. I haven't taken the door covers off just yet, but wanted to scheme out a plausible plan of action before getting the door stripped down and meeting one of those familiar Lanny walls of no more answers....??