LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after getting tires changed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after getting tires changed

I'm not sure how this would affect it, but after I got 4 new tires on. When I picked it up. It says that my gas cap is loose or missing.
I checked it. Took it off. Put back on & tightened it up. Cranked it. Still says it. Drove it around.
Still says this message.

What could be the problem & could getting tires changed have anything to do with it ?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If they mis-handled the lift and squashed the filler hose to the tank, or related plumbing. Would be speaking with the manager of the tire shop to see how they will pay for this. If you paid for tires on plastic, you can dispute the charges. A dealer or indy shop can look at it for you. You might be able to clear the codes with a code reader you rent/borrow from a parts store.

Obviously the shop did not prepare for the work by burning raw meat to appease the Rover gods....

Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

EVAP system and fuel lines are pretty well protected on LR3s, I think it might just be a coincidence.

The message mean that the vehicle has thrown a fault for an EVAP system leak. Several years ago there was a software update that turned on this message before turning on the MIL, to prevent unnecessary trips to the shop. Unfortunately, that tune download got preformed far to often to 'fix' a leak, and created even more trips to the shop.

Common issues with the LR3 and EVAP leaks, or presumed leaks are, purge valve, fuel pump seal, and DMTL pump. There have been many different issues, but those are by far the most common. The pump itself does not leak, but will electrically fail, and it is what checks for leaks.

But clear out the codes, should be a P0442 or P0455. If it is not a tight system, it will come back and should be properly diagnosed at that time.

If the cap was loose when you took it off, you will need to go through several drive cycles, or clear the fault, and it may not come back, because it was nothing more then a loose cap in the first place.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for info guys
As of this morning, got in & cranked it & the message was gone
So looks like was nothing.
Lol I was ready jump all over the tire guys.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I would swing by somewhere that can read and clear your faults, if for nothing else, then to keep from having erroneous faults in the system if the light does come on for another reason in the near future.