LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Volume Intermittent Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Radio Volume Intermittent Failure

On my 2007 LR3 SE, in the last 2 years I have had 3 instances of the radio volume/sound equal to nothing, but the volume indicator display goes up and down, all displays FM/AM/CD work, channel changes work and even the 6 CD changer works trying to change CDs. This is a really strange problem but so intermittent that it is nearly impossible to troubleshoot, so I'm wondering if this could be a problem in the amplifier only, as the radio control head seems to be completely functional. When this problem happens, it is only at startup, and every time I shut the engine off and restart, sound works fine again. I am a bit confused, but after all, the vehicle is 14 years old...

EDIT: I see also that to remove the audio amplifier the front passenger seat must be removed first...
OOps! Further research indicates that the amp can be removed without removing the seat. I'll find out for sure this weekend...

Last edited by enb54; 04-29-2021 at 11:08 PM. Reason: OOps!
Old 04-29-2021, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Although mine was the base no amp system i would get the same issue, replaced the head unit and problem solved. The amp does seem the usual culprit is most of these no volume issues.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, I'm going to pull the audio amplifier and open it up to see if there is anything obvious, I've worked in industrial electronics for many moons so there may be a culprit I recognize...

Old 04-30-2021, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was having similar issues. My audio would work on and off. However when my audio would stop working the 4x4 display would also freeze. I went down a rabbit hole trying to diagnose this. I had a wet passenger floor board. Replaced the sunroof drain tube, that didn’t fix it. Replaced the windshield cowl. That fixed the leak. Then I dug into the passenger side wire loom. Found some damaged cables. I repaired them. This did not fix the issue. I then replaced the amp with a used one from eBay. That made it better however did not fix the problem. Last resort was to replace the head unit. Used head units are pretty expensive. I bought it on eBay too. After two weeks of the new used head unit. There has not been a single malfunction. “Knock on wood!” If you buy a used head unit make sure you buy one that is a comparable unit for your year rover. It does matter.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Coldwater
I was having similar issues. My audio would work on and off. However when my audio would stop working the 4x4 display would also freeze. I went down a rabbit hole trying to diagnose this. I had a wet passenger floor board. Replaced the sunroof drain tube, that didn’t fix it...
Thanks for that, all Head functions seem to work and indicate properly, I have no 4x4 display or navigation (Garmin/Samsung/iPhone works better for me) but with such a long time between failures I have convinced myself that this is some kind of simple crazy thing that will take lots of pulling apart connectors, looking at wiring harnesses/looms and then using brute force (unsoldering components) if necessary to make this machine lie down and cry for mercy. At least that's what we used to say about electronics before I retired, unless of course the problem's name is "Terminator"......
Will keep you all informed...