LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really bad vibration during breaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really bad vibration during breaking

Hi Guys, need some help. I have developed a really bad vibration during breaking. Now, I can control it to a degree based on how much pressure I put on the breaks, either a small amount or a large amount will reduce the vibration, but at normal breaking pressure it makes a horrible noise, the steering wheel wobbles by probably an inch side to side and the vibration can be felt throughout the car. At first I thought it was a really warped rotor, and seeing as how I was due for new rotors anyway, I did a full break job with new pads and rotors all around which did nothing to stop it. So, my question is this, what could be causing that? Ruling out the breaks, the only other thing I can think of is a front wheel bearing going out... Once I started thinking about that being the issue, it hit me that I also get a bit of a grinding moving from a dead stop. It makes no difference if I am cutting the wheels or not, there is a small but very noticeable grinding when I first start moving.

So, if it is the wheel bearings going out, can someone tell me what book time is for replacing them? This is not something I feel comfortable doing myself, and I want to have a accurate number in my head when I start calling around and getting quotes on it so I know when they are pulling numbers out of thin air...

Lastly, does anyone have a copy of the shop manuals for the LR3? I had the RAVE cd's for my Disco, but have never been able to find Rave(or what ever the replacement is for the newer cars) for the LR3? If no one has a copy they would be wiling to share, could you at least tell me what I need to be looking for?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

60.25.14 is factory op code wich pays a tech .8 to replace the bearing. typical shop should charge time and a half to do work so your looking around 1.2hrs of labor

Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

we would charge 1.5 for the bearing. most of the time in NY you couldn't get the thing out without using an impact chisel.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The symptoms you describe could also be brake related, ie: warping in the rotors. Unfortunately the LR3 ones cannot be turned. I suggest the EBC rotors w/ green stuff pads, and the rotor can be turned/trued at each pad change. If that turns out to be the problem.

Certainly wheel bearings are a possibility. I destroyed a wheel bearing when I had brake work done at an indy shop, and they didn't lock the nut on once tightened, as a result the nut worked loose.

The manual you seek is here http://pdftown.com/PDF-Land-Rover-Di...op-Manual.html

Good Luck !

Last edited by unseenone; 12-22-2011 at 12:21 PM.