LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Glass Hatch won't open, push down on the lock/unlock buttons

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Rear Glass Hatch won't open, push down on the lock/unlock buttons

This is a first for me. I was out of town over the weekend and left the Range Rover Sport at the office garage. After getting back to town, we took an uber from the airport to the office garage. My wife tried to open the rear glass hatch and nothing happened, no click, no clunk, nothing. I thought that it might have not been shut completely. The rear lift gate opened fine, it was just the upper glass that would not open. I fiddled with it to no avail. I read up on the forum and found that the release could be reset by holding lock/unlock buttons located on the center of the dash simultaneously for three seconds. I tried it this morning, heard a click, hit the unlock button and just like new the rear glass hatch worked! I have no idea what caused the hiccup, but for now it is working perfectly. (this is the first time that I have experienced this issue since I have had the truck). Quick easy fix. Thank you to the Land Rover Forum. This is a terrific site! Phil

2005 Land Rover LR3 Tonga Green HSE HD 121,000 miles
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE Giverny Green 23,900 miles

The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Good to know... thanx!

Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
This is a first for me. I was out of town over the weekend and left the Range Rover Sport at the office garage. After getting back to town, we took an uber from the airport to the office garage. My wife tried to open the rear glass hatch and nothing happened, no click, no clunk, nothing. I thought that it might have not been shut completely. The rear lift gate opened fine, it was just the upper glass that would not open. I fiddled with it to no avail. I read up on the forum and found that the release could be reset by holding lock/unlock buttons located on the center of the dash simultaneously for three seconds. I tried it this morning, heard a click, hit the unlock button and just like new the rear glass hatch worked! I have no idea what caused the hiccup, but for now it is working perfectly. (this is the first time that I have experienced this issue since I have had the truck). Quick easy fix. Thank you to the Land Rover Forum. This is a terrific site! Phil

2005 Land Rover LR3 Tonga Green HSE HD 121,000 miles
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE Giverny Green 23,900 miles
I've been able to open my LR4 trunk just once since it started acting up. I'll try this now.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this happen a few weeks ago. The housing is improperly sealed and there is a lot of water build up that leads to severe corrosion in the wiring leading to the switch. It's easy to pull out and put back in, and it's a simple switch so you can replace it to manufacturers specs or your own small switch from the hardware store. Of course, the switch generally doesn't need to be replaced unless the signal wire is corroded all the way to the button such that there's not enough wire left to make a splice after you cut out the corroded portion. If the corrosion isn't too bad, you can fix it with a simple splice, but test the switch for resistance first.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Not sure if i'm reading this right but first you say the lift up gate opened but the glass hatch wouldnt ? I assume you mean the top tailgate opened but the lower didnt ?

Old 02-03-2020, 12:13 PM
jrb
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still love my 2012 LR4; but my son in law and I are struggling with his 2011 RR Sport -- his glass hatch won't open.

Unlike the OP he doesn't have a lock/unlock button on the center console.

Switch, fuse, and relays are all good.

The only thing we've noticed is that if the main tailgate is not fully shut there is no warning shown on the dash -- might be the issue keeping the glass from opening.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Jim