LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Sunroof Drain Locations - LR3

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Sad to report that these do not fit. Too large, enough so that they simply will not work. I did not try to fit into sheetmetal, I may do so anyway then see if I can locate a simple plastic adapter for the size difference. That adds to the cost though. I did purchase 12mm push connectors incase I end up buying the entire tube sets so I can cut off the ends of the new and couple to existing. I am going to keep digging for more ends that may work but only if I can find the dimensions. And if I can find a wise adapter, I will report back.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Camel Trophy

I have something else arriving that should work. Will update.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Front drains fixed. I have not even looked at rears yet but I will eventually locate the ends and see if they are bad. What I ended up doing was indeed purchase Rover drain tubes. But I purchased a set for a Sport, not a regular LR3. It seems the market is well aware of the issue and the LR3 specific tubes are higher priced all over. I forget the part number for LR3 hoses (I think EEH500100), but the Sport are EEH500120. I purchases a pair for $22.50 shipped. This is less, for a pair, than a single LR3 version. Since I only needed the ends I can not say if the hoses are 100% the same. I can certainly measure for those that can provide the stock measurement. Also of note, these had white tape on them. Stock are red. I think this is a part version indicator so make sure you buy the updated version. Both seem to be for sale or simply using stock/old photos. The updated versions have nylon inserts at the ends were stock was just rubber nipple right on the hose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...0/142003617220

The second item needed was a 12mm coupler. Push type. $10 for a pair, shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Push-In...2/310491656927

Then I simply did as instructed in this video.

Issues: I had to disconnect and pull out, reconnect the junction box several times. I had major issues such as front windows not operating, all door ajar alerts on even when closed, suspension errors, remote not working and a few others. Even though I looked things over 100 times and was certain the connectors were proper, one must not have been. Even after pulling the entire thing and reconnecting several times. On the last run, bingo. I feared I pulled/damaged a neighboring connector or wire loom. And the connectors on the back side are HELL. The video does not show installation for a reason! I did find a few things that helped:
* The very bottom bright green connector has a small squeeze tab on the backside. Squeeze and pull down.
* Pull the relay and diodes on the junction panel before removing and do not install them until just before the last blue and bottom green connector goes on. Doing so lets you actually turn the box towards the fender a bit. Upper green/orange connectors need to be tucked up high out of the way. This helps greatly reconnecting the rear connectors but the box does have to be pretty high up to do so. At least you can sorta see.
* The wire loom for the bottom blue and green connector and courtesy lamp can be pulled up and out where the glove box was. This gives you more working room too. Once the box is installed, there is plenty of room to route those connectors back.
* Disconnect the blower motor. Again this lets you move a harness to make more room.

So in total I spend around $30 which is not too bad, its about the cost of one LR3 hose. While its more than I wanted to spend, its not as much as I could have.

The following users liked this post:
johnsonmc2000 (02-07-2024)
Old 02-01-2018, 04:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front sunroof

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
ljdiscovery - I dont have a link posted for those above because I am not certain they will work. They arrive tomorrow and I will try then out. If they work, they cost is only about $10 USD each. And I will post the part number/link. Also these have the similar tampered end I will probably cut then off before install to reduce clogging.
yes I did it also on my lr3 than is great! I did video

Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Sorry, forgot to update. They did not work. Too large. I bought sport drain hoses as they were much cheaper (almost half the price). I removed the ends and swapped.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:18 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the water in floorboards issue....but all the drain grommets look OK....they are draining....what seems to be happening, is there is a leak where the drain tube seats into the sunroof gutter....have never seen anyhting on that...my A Pillar liner has become all wrinkled.....I believe the water is flowing down the side of the tube.....any ideas? How is the drain tube seated in the gutter? Thanks....

Old 05-25-2022, 02:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Take off your exterior A-pillar trim; there are holes that water can get through. Cover them; duct tape should suffice. You may need new trim fasteners, too.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:28 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem. Wet floorboards, but I noticed during a thunderstorm that turning sharp right in a parking lot dumped a whole lot of water directly into my lap, which leads me to believe that the sunroof drain pipe - where it connects to the sunroof has either pulled off the nipple, or perished completely. The only other explanation would be that the drain is blocked, allowing standing water to find another way into the cabin and eventually running down the A-Pillar trim towards the floorboards.

I also have the wrinkled A-Pillar trim on both sides. Planning on loosening the headliner to confirm that the drains are still attached. After that I will run some trimmer line down the drain pipes and if clear test with a small amount of water to see if it drains to the ground or into the car.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by CJZA
I have a similar problem. Wet floorboards, but I noticed during a thunderstorm that turning sharp right in a parking lot dumped a whole lot of water directly into my lap, which leads me to believe that the sunroof drain pipe - where it connects to the sunroof has either pulled off the nipple, or perished completely. The only other explanation would be that the drain is blocked, allowing standing water to find another way into the cabin and eventually running down the A-Pillar trim towards the floorboards.

I also have the wrinkled A-Pillar trim on both sides. Planning on loosening the headliner to confirm that the drains are still attached. After that I will run some trimmer line down the drain pipes and if clear test with a small amount of water to see if it drains to the ground or into the car.
That was my problem, drain was blocked solid with a gel like goo and wouldn't clear with grass trimmer line pushed down. Ended up removing the CJB to get to the elbow at the exit point and found it had been replaced before so i just blew air up the drain hose and forced the gunk out and been fine since.