LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RR LR3 deceleration noise and transmission brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RR LR3 deceleration noise and transmission brake

Hello fellow LR3 owners! I have a 2005 LR3 that makes a noise that I cant quite figure out. When i decelerate from any speed there is a noise that sounds like off road tires on pavement ( I currently have street tires on it). No clunking or popping and it only makes the noise when I let off the gas peddle.

Front Differential maybe?

Also, does the LR3 have the braking transmission? When you let off the gas the tranny slows you down? ( dont laugh if this is a dumb question)

Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

The tranny will provide some compression braking in lower gears and a little bit on Sport Mode. Sounds like it could be a diff or a wheel bearing.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

The transmission is programmed to downshift when off the gas going downhill as well to help slow you down. It does this more aggressively in Sport mode.

The sound you have is likely a drive line component like a differential. It could be the tires as well (that's what my shop told me) but I've swapped tires since then and still have the same noise. I've got a bit of a "singing" diff audible at lower speeds that just sounds like a bit of scraping and my rear diff had some nasty oil in it when I changed it.

I would change your differential oils if you haven't already. It will at least prolong the inevitable if one is going bad.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Overlanding

Dj, did you use the SAF XO oil for the diffs? Where is the best place to find the diff oil besides the LR dealership?

Old 03-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I used the LR OEM stuff. I got a kit from Atlantic British. They did send the wrong plug for one of the diffs though, I had to reuse the old one.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Overlanding

Thank you DJ. I will purchase the kit from Atlantic British as well.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As others have said change your diff oils - they have mag drain plugs so any debris will be stuck to that or at least it will give an indication if you have more than the normal sludge on it. My first LR3 had a worn rear diff and it happened on deceleration as the drive line took up the slack and then the resistance of the gears came into play.

What you have not said is your mileage or if regular oil changes have been done. As for the oil, Ive been using Royal Purple, the spec is detailed in the tech section post and no issues at all.

If you say you only hear the noise when decelerating I would not think wheel bearing (hub) as that would be more likely to be some kind of constant or repetitive noise regardless of deceleration. Also depending on which side it was you would also likely hear an increased level of noise when turning away from that side as it the weight loads up that side in the turn. Turn into that side and the noise should reduce as the weight transfers to the outer side. Having just replaced one of mine, this is what I had. A worn hub bearing can also be more of a whump whump whump sound if only part of the bearing face is worn or pitted rather than the surface being scored over the entire bearing surface, but again it will increase or decrease in level when you turn one way or the other.

Don't discount tires either, but again that would likely be a constant noise, not something that only comes on deceleration. I've mistakenly changed a bearing in the past when I found out I had a cupped tire.

Last edited by spannermonkey; 03-21-2018 at 08:02 PM.