LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Software Upgrade

I have the truck booked in to the dealer to do a software upgrade to address the transmission hesitation that I get when coming to a complete stop. Dealer wants $300 + tax, so I was wondering if the IID tool does this software upgrade? If so, the cost of the dealer service would pay over half the cost of an IID tool for me.

Here's hoping...

Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoast
I have the truck booked in to the dealer to do a software upgrade to address the transmission hesitation that I get when coming to a complete stop. Dealer wants $300 + tax, so I was wondering if the IID tool does this software upgrade? If so, the cost of the dealer service would pay over half the cost of an IID tool for me.

Here's hoping...
Yes, it can do it. However, there's an additional charge.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

they quoted me 60 U.K. Pounds.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

How is it an extra? I always figured you just emailed GAP and they would provide you the extra bit of firmware (if its the custom trans values)

Otherwise the tool can reset the transmission values by itself out of the box.

Do they really charge for this???

Old 10-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
How is it an extra? I always figured you just emailed GAP and they would provide you the extra bit of firmware (if its the custom trans values)

Otherwise the tool can reset the transmission values by itself out of the box.

Do they really charge for this???
I was under the same impression. Are all firmware updates extra cost?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Baja

Here is what they told me:

"Thank you for your interest in our products.

ZF did release an update to help with the California Stop issue. We've done it on our LR3 at around 120 k miles and it helped significantly. With that being said, there is always a risk when playing with the transmission of making things worst depending on the mechanical state of various components.

We provide the reflash and adaptation clear routines upon request for our customers (IIDTool owners) via the fast lane service at a cost of 60 GBP."

Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine was free but perhaps I was considered a beta tester for GAP? I was one of the very early people to try it. Or perhaps it was that my IID was brand new when I asked. I have no idea. It's a shame it's not free for the asking.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Mine was free but perhaps I was considered a beta tester for GAP? I was one of the very early people to try it. Or perhaps it was that my IID was brand new when I asked. I have no idea. It's a shame it's not free for the asking.
For the amount paid for the IID Tool, I'm surprised it's not free as well. Well, that's a bit disappointing since I was hoping to do the re-flash as well.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Since they state this re-flash came from ZF, anyone know how is it different than the Land Rover update that the dealers do? Or is it the same?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Baja

Good question. I have an autologic which can do a software update(with LR software), but have not done it on any transmissions over 90K because a LR tech told me they can get screwed up. I was wondering if the Land Rover update is the same as the ZF update, as the GAP guys did it with no worries at 120K.

Maybe The guys that told me are just paranoid and the LR update is the same as the ZF. I find it hard to believe that ZF would not extend the update to LR, one of their customers.

Quick Reply: Software Upgrade