LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring back to air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring back to air suspension

I just purchased an 05 LR3 that the previous owner had just installed the atlantic british coil kit on. He told me he did the swap because of a leaking bag. The PO handed me the EAS error canceler in a box, it has not been installed yet.

I would really like to restore the suspension back to air. I watched the video from AB on performing the coil conversion and may have missed it, but it seemed to me that nothing was done to disable the compressor. Is this right? I would have thought that you would at least pull a fuse to keep the compressor from running all the time.

My question is basically, would the swap be as easy as re-installing the bags and plugging their air hoses in?

Also, what are the odds that I could sell this basically new kit?

Anybody advise against going back?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

I do.

....this would come as a surprise to anyone that has followed my posting on this board. Here is the thing....the PO probably installed the coils for a reason. I'd bet there are lurking skeletons in that EAS closet.

If you are not going to off-road it, then the coils are probably going to be good for your needs. If you need the EAS' capability then maybe try installing the air shocks and see what happens. Do you have the air shock components in-hand as well or do you need to buy new ones?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the same thing, but the PO seemed fairly knowledgeable and very upfront about some of the other issues with the vehicle, and this may be a mistake, but I am leaning towards trusting him about his purpose for the swap. The truck had other issues when I purchased it and after purchasing a battery, and radio I only have about $1700 in a very clean 100k mile truck.

I am fully intending to take advantage of it off road. Also, the auto leveling while trailering toys to and from the river is very appealing to me. I figure with as little money as I have in it, I could afford to replace the compressor and valving and still be in decent shape. Of course with the hope that all I have to do is put air coils back in it.

I do appreciate your input.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

What about a hybrid solution?

refit rear air struts, but have them on a more accessible valve block and use your own compressor, and simple controller.

The best part about the EAS was the rear axle raising to compensate for loading it with a ton of weight, and if something goes wrong it won't disable your traction control computer, trans, throttle etc. Can just control the rear axle valve yourself to raise or lower as necessary.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 726 Likes on 610 Posts

If you swap back, this may be of help.

Attached Files
Old 05-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

Well, the auto-leveling is nice but I'd call the best part of the EAS the cross-linking that emulates a beam axle. Sounds like you have the right idea so I say go for it!