LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing my LR3

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing my LR3

Hi everyone!

In September, my family and I will be moving to Europe for 7-9 months and I have to leave my 06 lr3 stateside. Any advice on what to do with my truck? I will have people checking in on my house every once in a while but that's it. I have about 65k miles on it right now. Any tips?

Thanks,
Dtrain

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Oil change etc and keep the battery on a CTEK.

Do an engine oil change and general maintenance prior to parking.

For that length of time, I would disconnect the battery. The only alternative is to put the battery onto a trickle charger like the CTEK US3300. Doing neither, ie just walking away would be bad. The battery will be dead when you return as well as some other software systems being all mixed up as they also died.

Having someone start your 3 up once a month over a period of six or seven months will not solve the problem. The battery must be kept on a charger. This advice would also apply to a Chev or Ford pickup but the computer systems would not be a badly messed up on the pickups. These new vehicles are computers first, and mechanical machines a distant second.

By the way, learn how to use the hidden mechanical door lock / unlock mechanism. Test it now as it may be frozen from lack of use - like never having been used. Also with the battery disconnected, if you plan to lock your 3, best you experiment now both mechanically locking and unlocking - do not wait for the day of departure. It may just be another opportunity to learn. Keep a window rolled down while you experiment.

If you ignore what I have said re the battery and unlocking, well you will be able to learn all about the mechanical unlocking when you return as the battery will be dead and you will be locked out of the bonnet, hence no access to the battery unless you left the hood open prior to departure. Most locksmiths do not know where the keyhole is so do not expect much help there and even if so, if the mechanism is frozen, well ....

Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Because of the forced ethanol in gasoline, would also advise fuel stabilizer in the tank and circulated (engine driven) before storage. A couple of mouse sticky pads (flat pad with very sticky surface that mouse cannot escape from, non toxic) under the bonnet in case hungry wire chewers come for a visit.