LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange knocking noise coming from the roof at high speeds

Old 06-17-2019, 08:18 PM
7th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Strange knocking noise coming from the roof at high speeds

Hello,

I have a strange situation and I have no idea how to make sense of the problem I am dealing with. Here is the situation:

When I drive my LR3 at high speed, speeds above 60MPH for example, I hear a knocking noise coming from somewhere above the headliner. It feels like something is hitting the glass top.

- I checked the roof itself, there is nothing loose there.
- The knocking noise is intermediate and does not happen at a constant frequency. It happens once, and then the next knock might happen after 2 seconds, or 10 seconds, or one minute later.
- I think the item or object that is hitting the glass roof is somewhere between the headliner and the roof, but I cannot be sure about this. Maybe it is a part of roof shade mechanism?
- I shoved a small inspection camera inside the headliner from the openings around the moonroof area. And I couldn't see anything special other than the shade mechanism itself. My view was blocked by it.

The trivial method to inspect the situation is removing the headliner, but before going that way which require pretty much stripping half of the interior trims I wanted to see anyone here has ever experienced anything like this? Or has a better idea or comment on the challenge I am facing?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LRTHREEE; 06-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

Try pushing, gently, on the sunroof glass panel. I have a rattle/knock with mine and it seems the glass is not secured 100% on one side. So I get an occasional knock and other times a rattle. Also usually on the highway. I think the wind pressure pushes down on the glass giving the combination needed to trigger it. When I inspected mine, I could see movement around the three/four securing bolts.

The following users liked this post:
LRTHREEE (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 PM
7th Gear

Thank you! Just checked the glass panels, and the small one right above the driver and front passenger is slightly loose and I can move it by pushing it! How can I fix the problem? Tightening the bolts? In order to do it, I would assume I have to remove the headliner, correct?

Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 708 Likes on 596 Posts

No clue, I have not fiddled with mine yet. I think Best4x4 is the new resident expert on these panels, hopefully he chimes in.

LRTHREEE (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Plastic bits have perished

Old 06-18-2019, 09:19 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Plastic bits have perished
So what is the fix? Dismantling the whole thing, and rebuilding it - assuming there is a rebuild kit.
Or the true fix is brand new sunroof?
Or maybe a simple, but ugly fix, such as stuffing foam in some locations to damp down oscillations?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar noise in the same location but my cause wasn’t the sunroof. On mine the passenger side roof seam trim which extends from the top of the windshield header to the front edge of the roof rack rail had detached at the front. This piece of trim is vaguely S-shaped to match the roof as it steps up. When the vehicle was stationary, everything looked fine but at highway speeds with a cross-wind it would start to bang on the roof occasionally. Once I figured out what it was I was able to buy replacement plastic clips for it and apply a new piece of double-sided foam tape at the leading edge.

This might not be your problem but it can’t hurt to check and someone else looking at this thread might find the info helpful.

houm_wa (06-21-2019)