LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Woes

I have an issue with my instrument cluster that has recently gotten worse, everything goes blank unless you smack it.

Found a thread with same symptoms, but a Disco Mike ending..

Has anyone successfully resolved this? I'm thinking of pulling the cluster tomorrow (actually today considering it's 0220...)

I'm hoping a reconnect and a spritz of CRC226 corntact cleaner will possibly fix it..but I'm thinking maybe it's more expensive than that.

Oh. I have service records from the previous owner from the local LR dealer saying it needs a cluster. Hopefully I can prove them wrong.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

You need a cluster, they are reprogrammable but GAP has a workaround.

Cluster from the dealer is approx $1200 then you need a GAP tool Or Autologic to program.

New: approx $1800 cluster and GAP

buy a used cluster off eBay with less mileage than yours and program with GAPs technical support.

used approx $750 cluster and GAP

Old 06-17-2019, 08:59 AM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@User, had the same problem on my '07 w/85k - ish a few years back. You're on the right track with removal, replug, and replace. Although this didn't rectify my cluster issue it gave me the confidence to replace when I acquired a substitute.
As stated above you will need a used cluster with less miles than your current cluster, GAP Tool, prep time to update GAP tool and load software, then only about an hour for the replace and re-flash.
I took the EBay route and got lucky, found a replacement for under $100 and the Fast Lane service (software) from GAP was $34. Very simple process, straightforward instructions from GAP, and now an instrument pack that is glitch free.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Rock Crawling

I found this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer...temCondition=4

I have 170k miles currently so it should be fine.

I have an IIDTool BT, bought it for my 2011 RR and it is still programmed to it, will I need to add the VIN or is standard "locked" mode enough? What is Fast Lane Service software? I will wait for your answer and email GAP in the morning.

ShopKeyPro says the steering wheel comes off to replace the cluster, just want to confirm that.

Hoping I can pull this off for ~$100.... I'm a cheap ***.

Edit
I sent an offer for $40, I think that is a reasonable offer. Hopefully the cluster plastic shield is not too scratched, or I can replace it with my shield.

Last edited by User; 06-17-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@USER, I don't know what year your LR3 is but I never got a straight answer (was told both Yes and No) if I could replace with a 05-06 cluster as my LR3 is an '07. I held out for a 07-09 cluster.

You will know exactly how many miles are on the used cluster as soon as you plug it in. I found this out the hard way as the replacement I purchased supposedly had a few more miles than my broken cluster. I put the extra miles on my vehicle only to find out I could've replaced as soon as I received the used unit, it had 4k less miles than mine at the time it went bad. Time wasted.

I don't know if you will need to add your LR3 to your GAP Tool, my guess is yes but an e-mail to them with what you're planning to do should get you a definitive answer. The Fast Lane Service is the software you will need from GAP to retrieve all the info (mileage, vin, etc.) off your old Instrument Pack/ECU and install it on your replacement and updates the ECU.

I read the same about the steering wheel before I started, not true. Lower wheel, remover column cover, you will have just enough room to get the old unit out and the replacment in.

My replacement cluster had some scratches/scuffs on the window so I just swapped, real easy, it's only like a half-dozen tabs holding it on.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Abran, any differences between 05-06 and 07-09 clusters?

I bought the earlier version and my truck is a 2007.

from what I can tell through ShopKeyPro and online there are no differences

Old 06-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I asked GAP the same thing. They told me that they could not verify, so I waited until I found the right year.

The 2 versions actually look different, but I can't verify if they function the same. But hey, you could be the one to confirm/deny compatibility!

Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It has been a while since I looked into this but I am pretty sure the newer cluster has a green headlights on indicator while the older cluster has a red indicator (fuel burning heater?) in the same place. When updating older clusters (firmware and/or config) from a GAP IIDtool there is an option to suppress this behavior on older clusters so you don’t have to stare at a red light.