LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumble on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble on cold start

So my LR3 has started to have an odd issue.
First start in the morning or after work.
I get in turn the key and start the engine. The engine stumbles and then comes to life. This morning it stumbled and was at about 100-150 rpm and looked like it would not come up.
Turned the key off and then started it again and all was fine.
Driving is normal, lots of power and not odd issues. Once started it runs fantastic.
Seems that this happened after I took it into the shop for some repairs and they disconnected the battery. After that it was stumbling on initial startup but always came back to life.
Worse since the last service on Friday (had the steering rack replaced) and now it is doing this. I know they are not related, but still.

We are in the middle of summer so cold is not the issue.

Any ideas?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Clean the MAF. Easiest possible fix

Old 08-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

You can try another hard rest with eh battery. Agree, could be MAF or dirty throttle body. Your ECU may have been adjusting for something that was starting to get out of spec. The reset they did may have amplified the issue.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackngold77
Clean the MAF. Easiest possible fix
Going to try that this weekend

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
You can try another hard rest with eh battery. Agree, could be MAF or dirty throttle body. Your ECU may have been adjusting for something that was starting to get out of spec. The reset they did may have amplified the issue.
I have a feeling you are correct. I was planning on the valve cover gaskets this weekend so that is a good time to clean everything up. Of course this morning it started perfectly. I was thinking when that happened it was a sensor. So MAF makes more sense.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:03 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rovers3
Going to try that this weekend

I have a feeling you are correct. I was planning on the valve cover gaskets this weekend so that is a good time to clean everything up. Of course this morning it started perfectly. I was thinking when that happened it was a sensor. So MAF makes more sense.
Any fix for this? My truck recently started doing the same. Only on cold starts (keeping in mind summer temps so not that cold) it fires right up as normal but rpms stay at 100-300 and bounce around, running really rough. About 1-2 seconds and the rpms jump to normal (1200 or so) without any gas or intervention. Hot starts are no problem, and runs great otherwise. Last service work was the alternator replacement about 6 months ago so not sure that’s the cause. See video for the behavior.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:01 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just started having this same issue last week the first morning after a 300 mile trip. It would take 2-4 slow cranks before starting, and run rough under 1k rpms almost as if it wasn't getting enough gas. This was somewhat mitigated if you put the key in the ignition and turn it as quick as possible. Once running, it would run like a top all day, starting right up and driving perfectly; I was getting 21 mpg on the highway. No codes came up on the IID tool. I did a complete injector and fuel system cleaning and put a new starter in about 10 months ago so that couldn't have been the issue. I wound up cleaning the MAF when I got home and it seems to have done the trick. However, if you find your issue was something else I'd love to hear about it in the hopes of doing some preventative maintenence.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Slow cranks? Sounds more like a battery issue.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry, the video didn't attach to my original post. It seems like my issue has disappeared. Two cold starts now without the rough idle for the first second or two. The only things I did were take of the intake piping to check how dirty it was (didn't clean anything since it seemed fine) and add two bottles of injector cleaner to a tank of gas, so maybe that was the issue? Or maybe a bad tank of gas? Will respond if it returns.