LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly - No Heat - First time Blend Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 02:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suddenly - No Heat - First time Blend Codes

Hey All,

I've got a bit of a peculiar issue, I've got a 2005 V8 LR3 SE which suddenly lost heat. I've been driving it close to two years before I parked it to replace the front struts and O2 sensors. It has always had fantastic heat and AC, doesn't matter what the outdoors were like, that climate was CONTROLLED on the inside. I still have ice cold air, with plenty of volume... but no heat.

I've got the GAAP IID Tool and have used it often for troubleshooting this and that, but I've never had blend door codes before, until I went to hook the battery charged on it and to bring it in-doors to start swapping the struts out. I'll paste it below. I can clear them and they don't come back, but sadly, my heat doesn't either. It sat under a car-port for right at 4 months without being moved, my first thought is that maybe they're stuck and just need some lubrication on the louvers... but before I go jumping into that I wanted to get some input.

Didn't know if the GAAP tool had a way to calibrate the blend door motors or maybe another tool does. It had some work done by the previous owner at Rover Atlanta in 2018 where some blend door calibration was performed and some HVAC maintenance, but nothing since.

I've got one of those hardshell dash covers that I'll have to unglue that came with the truck if I have to pull the dash, and I don't care to do that, but am looking for some guidance.

I was supposed to only have two more items left on my 'Rover To-Do List', the Keyfob system because it was installed by the Dealer after the fact and cleaning my terrain control module... but heat is more important, chilly summer mornings on the way to school for the kiddos aren't what I want to do.Ventilation

B1B77-49 (2F) Front right air blend stepper actuator - System internal failure - internal electronic failure
( on 17-02-2024 20:31:49 at 183416 mi )
- Test Failed
- Test Failed This Monitoring Cycle
- Confirmed
- Test Failed Since Last Clear

B1B78-84 (28) System pressure - Bus signal/message failure - signal is below allowable range ( on 17-02-2024 21:41:11 at 183451 mi )
- Confirmed
- Test Failed Since Last Clear

Thank you everyone in advance!

Last edited by Dorel; 03-25-2024 at 03:33 PM. Reason: FORGOT THE CODES! - Typo
Old 03-25-2024, 08:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to be clear, when you say no heat you mean on both sides? Or is it only colder on the driver side? I've seen heater cores clogged and cause the driver side to blow cold while the passenger side is warmer. Blend door codes can be erroneous and not mean anything a lot of time time. While the blend doors are not the easiest to change they aren't hard to get a finger on and feel if they are activating when commanded.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by little green giant
Just to be clear, when you say no heat you mean on both sides? Or is it only colder on the driver side? I've seen heater cores clogged and cause the driver side to blow cold while the passenger side is warmer. Blend door codes can be erroneous and not mean anything a lot of time time. While the blend doors are not the easiest to change they aren't hard to get a finger on and feel if they are activating when commanded.
You know, now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I had it on the lift the other day and was standing on the passenger side and had it all the way to heat and was just getting cold air, but I was also 48 degrees inside, engine was warm after running for 20 minutes, but I didn't walk over to the driver side and test. I remember for as long as I've owned it, when you change the zone getting air you could hear the blend doors creaking one direction or the other, I don't know that I heard that the last time I messed with it. I do know the last time I took a trip down to Nashville (2HRs one way) I couldn't get it to defrost and it fogged up a few times, couldn't get any heat so just turned the air off entirely and put my jacket back on.

*UPDATE: HEAT IS BACK... NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED.

Last edited by Dorel; 03-26-2024 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo