LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun roof rattles when in the vent position

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sun roof rattles when in the vent position

Looked around, found a few different answers here and there, so I thought I’d ask outright. Y’all have always fixed my issues and answered my questions before.

On my 2007 LR3, the sunroof rattles when it is in the “vent” position. Not closed, but not open.......the first position where the rear of the sunroof is popped open a little bit. The rattling is getting worse. If I push up on the sunroof from the inside the rattling stops.

It does not rattle when fully open or closed, only in the vent position.

Any ideas?

Semper Fi!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine rattles too. There seem to be many solutions. Most require new parts or removal of the head liner. One suggestion is that the motor is tapping the roof. I’m going to pull the lights out of the head liner and see if I can confirm and put some foam tape between the motor and roof.
Will let you know if it helps.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I took a hour to look at the moonroof. Just by pressing up in either of the rear corners, I could make the rattle/bang happen.
I popped the rear AC and interior light off to look at the motor mechanism. To do this, pull down the front edge. The rear had tangs the fit above the headliner. There are three push pins the go into the steel roof, so assembly is a built tricky. Reach your fingers in there and adjust the pins to align with the holes. This didn’t seem to be the problem, so I went back to the sliding mechanism.
I could see what I thought to be too much tolerance around the guide track and the part that pushes the glass forwards and backwards. There was a lot of cracks in the plastic and pieces of what I would call a buffer breaking off in small chunks. There seemed to be a fair amount of wear, but maybe just too much manufacturing tolerance.
Then, I tried adding grease to the track and the moving parts thinking that the grease would take up some of the room and cushion the parts. Didn’t work at all and spent the next 10 minutes cleaning off the grease.
After that, I thought if I could remove the glass, I could get a better look at the mechanism. The parts don’t seem to come apart and are probably not particularly serviceable.
Removing the glass is easy....3 torx Head screws on either side and it lifts right out. I didn’t see anywhere that I could put some rubberized tape that I had on hand. It was getting dark, so I reinstalled the glass. Wouldn’t you know it; I can’t replicate the sound now. Either pressing up or driving.
Can’t explain it, maybe the glass is seating better now. I hope it doesn’t leak!
So, if you have a rattle, loosen all 6 screws (may not need to remove them or the glass). Wiggle the glass and retighten. 5 minutes tops!

Try it and let us know if it works for you!

So happy now! Didn’t realize just how irritating it had become.

Last edited by Geo; 03-06-2018 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (05-14-2022)