LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bumpers - Attachment points?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rear bumpers - Attachment points?

So, at some point, I've ripped off my rear plastic bumper cover in the woods... that whole departure angle issue...

Since then, I've been toying with buying a bumper, or building my own... so I figured I'd ask - How does an aftermarket rear bumper attach to the LR3? I see there are some bolts just behind the rear wheels where the cover was - perhaps that's what held the rear bumper cover on. Perhaps someone could share some light with me? I have not attempted to pull them off to see if that's actually what was holding that bumper on, and it seems like if it is, that was a really clean break when it let go.

So, could someone share what bolts hold on that rear plastic bumper? Do folks believe this is is the safest mounting option? I'm tempted to weld in some vertical nuts to that rear steel bumper.

Thoughts?

Old 03-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Just for laughs, I hit up youtube and this fine gentleman had posted a video showing all the little screws and pop tabs:

While I suppose that's good to know, I guess my real question is - how does a 3/16 steel bumper get bolted to an LR3? Certainly not the little plastic pops!

Dave aka Ghan

Old 03-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Dave

TR model uses two very large bolts in two very large cylindrical inserts that fit through the existing two centerline holes near the tow point, they more or less go through the existing bumper and bolt in on the inside, two little wing bolts tie the edges to the body IIRC.

The following users liked this post:
Ghaniba (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DavC
TR model uses two very large bolts in two very large cylindrical inserts that fit through the existing two centerline holes near the tow point, they more or less go through the existing bumper and bolt in on the inside, two little wing bolts tie the edges to the body IIRC.
Awesome! Exactly what I was after. Thanks!

At first thought I'm thinking boy that's not a very secure tie down... but after a bit of consideration - you're not going to be pulling by that bumper at all since the factory tow point is open, it's really just to be holding the tire carrier anyway.

Thanks again!

Dave aka Ghan

Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

its better than you might think, hit one of these hard dropping off a ledge, the bolts it come with are almost the size of a crank bolt.