LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Suspension Issue

Alright guys,

I like to think of myself somewhat knowledgeable, but I'm above my league here.
A friend of mine gave me Rhino rods a couple weeks ago for my LR3. I went to put them on and snapped the right rear (Drivers side) height sensor. Not a huge deal. Ordered the new part in, installed, ride height is all messed up now. Vehicle thinks the wheel is much lower than normal.

So I weighed out taking to LR dealer or buying the IID tool. I ended up buying the IID with bt for ease of use.

Here's where the fun begins. I plugged it in tonight, began calibrating to zero avail, somehow let all the air out of the bags, reset to factory defaults, have only gotten the fronts back up, and have sensor faults now on both rear height sensors and the vehicle is in limp mode. My EAS is stuck now in extended mode, but I'm on the bump stops at the back.

How do I get air back in the back bags?
How do I actually calibrate the new sensor?
Do I take the Rhino rods off?

Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Try the "restore original" feature or maybe on blue tooth it's just the default setting, I don't know. Bottom line though is that you have to recalibrate it. It's possible that you are so far out of tolerance that calibration will require an iterative process. First get it "kinda close" and then get it within spec. There should be instructions with your IIDTool. GAP has a spreadsheet that is handy. You can also email the GAP team. Their customer service is top notch.

The following users liked this post:
zoltan7 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Ha sorry to hear this. I think I calibrated my suspension the night I got the tool in the mail. Try using jacks at each corner to lift the car up then inflate the suspension with the tool in build mode, then clear codes, then try calibrating the suspension. Do it exactly the way you're supposed to, use the factory height settings. You can play with it later but you want it to be accurate.

I did it at night in the rain with a measuring tape so you can do it!

zoltan7 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:13 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm pretty sure if you do a calibration AFTER installing the Rhino Rods, it negates the purpose of them. The rods "fool" the sensors into raising the vehicle and doing a calibration compensates for them and lowers it back down.

Is it possible you installed the sensor wrong or didn't get it plugged up all the way? I would put the factory rods back on until you get it sorted and calibrated, then put the Rhinos back on.

zoltan7 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
I'm pretty sure if you do a calibration AFTER installing the Rhino Rods, it negates the purpose of them. The rods "fool" the sensors into raising the vehicle and doing a calibration compensates for them and lowers it back down.

Is it possible you installed the sensor wrong or didn't get it plugged up all the way? I would put the factory rods back on until you get it sorted and calibrated, then put the Rhinos back on.
Yes. You definitely need to do a calibration if you replace a sensor and yes, as LR Techniker states, the calibration definitely needs to be done before putting the Rhino Rods on. Otherwise, you'll be stock height with the Rhino Rods on.

The IID website has a pretty good walkthrough on how to do a calibration. I believe it's contained in both the IID Tool manual as well as the EAS Tool manual. Finding the right options and menus in the tool is pretty simple... it's the calculations that can get a little messy. I would suggest walking through their section in the manual. If you're still having issues, give them a call. They have great customer support and are very willing to help.

One tip to remember - Always measure from the center of each wheel to the underside of the wheel arch when you do it and not from the ground.

zoltan7 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the help guys!

I believe I'm going to do things in this order tonight.

1. Jack rear of vehicle up. (help refill the bladders)
2. Take all the Rhino rods off.
3. Use test mode to add air in and hopefully clear the 2 new sensor codes in the rear.
4. Step through the official calibration process

I don't have a phone number for GAP. I'm currently emailing one of their technicians, but it's not going anywhere without me sending my codes and logs. I also called Lucky8 and hope they can get back to me with some guidance.

I just know I HAVE to do 3 things.
1. take the rods off
2. get the air back in the rear bladders
3. get the height sensor codes to shut off

Without doing those 3 things, I have no chance of getting it back to standard EAS mode to be able to calibrate. Correct?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't think the calibration has anything to do with the rods. My understanding is that the calibration is purely a hand-shake between all the sensors that they are within a max and min value and that between the four of them the vehicle is level at that height. I could be wrong, but I'd bet a beer that you could calibrate with the rods on and it would work.

That said, I'd still do your calibration without the rhino rods. You will likely find that you don't need them at all since you have the IIDTool. When I did my last major recalibration, the one in which my LR3 was so out of whack that I had to do it in iterative steps, I had my laptop out and was emailing the guys at GAP the whole time. Slower than a phone call but it got the job done.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Mudding

I'll have to do that as I can't seem to get a phone number for those guys.

Hopefully they start responding during non work hours

Old 04-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Mudding

Still hosed here

switched the rods. Reset factory settings. No faults. All bags working. Completed the guided IID calibration. Measured everything and I'm still left with this.

what am I doing wrong???

Old 04-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Can you post a picture of the calibration values?

Quick Reply: Suspension Issue