LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension: Replace Bags only or Replace entire assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension: Replace Bags only or Replace entire assembly

Is it possible to only replace the bags (to save a little money) or do we need to swap out the entire air strut assembly spring and bag?

Bags only: 2005 2009 Land Rover LR3 Front Air Ride Suspension Bags Pair New | eBay

Entire assembly: Brand New Arnott Front Air Shock Strut Assembly for Land Rover Range Rover LR3 | eBay

Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you mean just to replace due to wear and tear or is there a specific issue you are trying to fix?

I would think (and might be wrong) the bags would only need replacing if there was a leak, whereas the struts probably age like traditional struts.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Drifting

My apologies. Yes, there is a leak in the front driver side bag.

I've rebuilt the air valve block and installed new height sensors. In the morning and after an 8 hour work day, the front driver side is lower than all the other sides.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you checked the airline from the valve block to the bag? Don't know if they are prone to cracking or leaking but worth a shot...

Old 08-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Drifting
Old 08-25-2016, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes, it's possible. Is it economically feasible? Not from what I've seen. Look at part number LR016503. From what I've seen, just the airbag is about as much as the entire assembly. Besides, by this point, I'm sure the shocks could use a refresh as much as the springs. There are also a bunch of o-rings/seals that you would want to replace. Part is LR016412 I think.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by teamfalcon
Yes, you can see the bubbles growing slowly.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts
Default I just had to do this

I had a right front bag leaking. At 162,000 miles a complete strut/airbag was a no brainer for me. Also the install took an hour and forty minutes to do both front struts.

Considering that you can replace the strut with basic hand tools ....23 mm 22 mm 15 mm and a 12 mm wrench and a jack that can get the wheel off the ground.

One big bolt on the bottom and three small nuts and an air fitting on the top and your done.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default shock oil went somewhere

I tend to be an advocate of replacing the whole assembly.

Beside the fact that it is easier to just install a whole new assembly, one might ask where the shock oil went

One must presume that the shock within is already somewhat tired and has lost oil. My thinking is that the oil is for the most part coating the inside of the airbag, hence all new has some additional benefits.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Just as an FYI, I believe Bilstein is the OEM for our shocks. They have a service where they will refurbish one of their shocks for around $100 and/or revalve for a bit more.

I called to see if they would service our OEM shocks and was told that "Unfortunately, we cannot service any OEM shock, we will only service our own aftermarket shocks". So, poo. I really thought it might be nice to get the shocks revalved for the added weight that I've put on the truck and then reassemble.

From what I've seen on the bags, it basically looks like they start to crack around the bend in the bottom part of the bag. Right at the point where the bend sits when you're in normal driving height. So... I suppose you might be able to prolong the life of your airbags by keeping your car raised or lowered while parking, though probably at the expense of your compressor. Pick your poison.

Quick Reply: Suspension: Replace Bags only or Replace entire assembly