LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension: Replace Bags only or Replace entire assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I do always park in Access Height, particularly if I know I'm not going to be driving the Rover for a few days, which is nearly always the case. I figure that the compressor is going to run anyway (if I leave it in Normal height...it always seems to) and I'd rather remove stress from the air shocks.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled the trigger on two: EurosparesShock Absorber, Part No L4000398338ESP from Advance Auto $557 for 2, free shipping.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't know if I've seen these. They are supposed to be direct replacements for the Delphi units?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Gaiters optional?

The link below is to what I found re the part number. I gather that rather than just the shock absorber, what you received included the airspring as well - in other words, two of the complete assemblies for the rear air suspension.

Eurospares Shock Absorber L4000398338ESP: Advance Auto Parts

Last year I replaced both fronts assemblies with what I gather was the Genuine purchased from BP Utah. A year later, both seem OK, but I note that the units did not include the rubber gaiters, as it appears the rears from Advanced do not include either.

It appears the rear units BP has advertised include the gaiters.

LR3 Rear Air Suspension Spring Strut RPD501090

Old 11-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapped'em out. Running fine. Lowers, rises up, extended mode, etc. BUT...

If I leave in normal height mode, suspension fault comes on, normal height only. Runs fine, doesn't lower during driving. If I turn off and on, I can lower it, raise it to extended mode, etc. Then the yellow suspension light turns on and it stays in normal height.

Maybe needs a calibration?

One thing I hear when I shut off is this clicking noise.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Wheel alignment?

Any thoughts about your wheel alignment?

Is the steering wheel pointed straight ahead when you are on a straight piece of road?

A wheel alignment or steering wheel problem will be noticed by the stability system. The yaw sensor will say the vehicle is going in a straight line and the steering wheel sensor says the 3 is turning. On city streets where one is constantly changing lanes etc, the problem does not show itself but on a freeway, after a few minutes of fairly straight line driving, yellow suspension lights and maybe the Cruise Control Not Available message will display.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Camel Trophy

The EAS Calibration is certainly worth checking, too...

Old 11-06-2016, 04:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello everyone. Im new here,not sure how these sotes work but Ill just throw it out there. I have an 07 LR3, Took it to rover dealer to check the fault codes, they said bad compressor. So i got the rebuild kit, put it back on and it runs but wont lift vehicle. Took off both valve blocks, they were dirty, i cleaned them and reinstalled them. Still not working. Do I need to do anything else, get the codes reset? Im going nuts here. Any assistance would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. .. Take care

Old 11-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Air Dryer Beads?

When you say you rebuilt the air compressor, I assume you are speaking of an Hitachi compressor?

Also I am presuming that the compressor you rebuilt is the same compressor as was on previously?

Did the rebuild include new air dryer beads or at least a look inside the air dryer? Deteriorated beads within the air dryer are what plugs up the block valves and is probably the stuff you were cleaning out of the orifices.

If you are saying the compressor motor runs but no compressed air exits from the compressor, then it might just be an assembly problem related to the compressor valve not sealing or no air entering the compressor.

There is also what is called an unloader circuit. That is what causes the fart noise upon completion of the pressure cycle where the compressor unloads so upon next start, the piston is not working against any pressure.

One of the files in the link below has over 4,000 downloads now. It is a 22 page pdf that pretty much explains the air system and the internal operation of the Hitachi compressor. It would appear over 4,000 guys felt it was worth looking at; maybe it was the colour picture of the compressor cut thru on pdf page 13/22 or file page 79?

Some of the other files there have a thousand views or so, hence looking thru the material might be of use.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 Air Suspension fuse 35P ECU Manual Shut Off Switch

The following users liked this post:
jmihan1 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 05:12 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bbyr. Thanks for your reply. Yes its the Hitachi, same one on the vehicle. The rebuild consisted of , new upgraded billet aluminum dryer cover, new desiccant, 3 new dryer filters, new piston rings. It runs for about 30 seconds then shuts off. Ill check out those posts, I really appreciate your reply. Take care

Quick Reply: Suspension: Replace Bags only or Replace entire assembly