LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about taking the plunge, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about taking the plunge, need help

I've done a couple of searches, and forgive me if this has been beaten to death.

I'm looking at my first LR purchase and I can't decide on weather to get the 04 Disco or 05/06 LR3. I'm looking at under 20k so the Disco would definately fit that bill and there are some 05/06 LR3's that can be found for that as well. Both would have high miles, which doesn't bother me that much.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have the space and tools to do most of regular maintenance on my own. The only thing I HATE, other than car dealers, is electrical problems. I know the LR3 has 327 more computers than the Disco, thanks Bill Gates, so that is something that is steering me away from the get go.

I'm looking for opinions on the pluses and minuses for either one. Since both are capable vehicles, why choose the LR3 over the Disco or vice versa?

Or more specifically, which one would you trust if you were in Big Bend National Park, hundreds of miles away from civilization in 100 plus heat and had to know that you're going to make it through some bad terrain without your vehicle dying on you?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
4wd High

im taking the plunge as well so cant give any advice, but i do know that all the winers about reliability never tell you about all the great lr3's that run perfectly everyday, yes its easier to have a yota, but its time we had some real fun in life and think about numero uno

Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

stick with the LR3. less money down the road for repairs.

maintenance is less.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Mudding

If you plan on using the vehicle on road a lot, the LR3 is much more comfortable, and out of the box, it is the most capable LR. With some bigger tires, a little discrete protection, it is an incredible offroad vehicle. Mine is almost 98k miles now (2005) and it just needs some tlc occasionally as in regular services every 5-7k miles.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
5th Gear

I've got an LR3 and just came back from an off-road in the mountains playing in snow with a group of other Land Rovers (of all kinds). It was a great time and the two LR3s that were at the event performed very well. Mine was mostly stock and the other had been tricked out with fancy options.

I have to say, after driving a 1996 Ford Explorer and a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, the 2008 LR3 I'm in was the most comfortable of all. It was also easily the best off road driving experience I've had. It was hard to see the pinstriping happen, but it also felt pretty good knowing that this would be one LR3 that actually was used for what it was designed for (most in this area are used to get from home to the mall and back).

The 2005/2006 LR3 is the same vehicle as the 2008, so you'll have the same performance. I'd recommend better tires than those that come stock, they made a huge difference between my stock vehicle and the other kitted out 2008 LR3.

I'd also suggest a bumper and winch upgrade, as his winch did save both of us a rather embarrassing extraction from the Mog that was with us. We managed to get up into some deep snow, then we parked to have lunch and watched the trucks slowly sinking into it. The winch allowed him to extract himself, and then he extracted me. You might not use the winch alot, but if you offroad often, it will save your butt (and one save is all it takes to make the $$$ worth it).

Since I've never owned any other Land Rovers, I can't give you a practical comparison. There was a few comments made about the amazing articulation of the wheels. The driver of the truck directly behind me said that he was admiring how my 4 wheels were always in contact with the ground, but that many times he had one wheel more than 2 feet up. He showed me the bent bumper of his truck where he "landed" a little harder than he wanted...

I give my LR3 one and a half thumbs up. When I've added the new rubber, winch, and snorkel, then there will be a strong 2 thumbs up. After adding the rock slides, and a few other options... Then it will go beyond that with me just grinning from ear to ear.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Drifting

I had an 03 Disco and now have an 05 LR3. The LR3 is a much better ride, Disco felt more like a truck. I wish I still had my Disco to be honest, just like the way it felt, sit, drove. I am not an offroader. Pretty much highway. I got rid of the Disco because it had a ton of leaks, to the tune of 3500 at cost. Just could not justify it at the time, wish I did. I am happy with the LR3 tho. Maintenance is still a bitch and expensive, but that is what you get with a rover. The day after I got mine, I had suspension troubles out the a**. All on the dealer dime, so wasnt awful. In the end LR3 was the smarter decision for me atleast.