LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new compressor... a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Time for a new compressor... a few questions

Was just a matter of time, but the suspension fault finally came on. First couple times a week or two ago it happened, I shut her off and restarted and it was fine. It happened again, and I went to off road mode to raise and it did, but the screen said something like, "Taking longer to raise vehicle". Over the last week it happened each time I drove it, and now she is sitting a bit lower (doesn't quite look like access height now) and I don't hear the compressor at all. I don't drive the truck much in the summer, but want to do this now so if I need it I have it.
She has 105K on her, and I have to figure it has been replaced before. It looks like in 12 they started using the newer style compressor. I poked around a bit at, but can't figure out which one is in there. Any thoughts?
If it has the old style, do I just go with the old style Hitachi? I'm not keeping this truck long...maybe another year or two tops, so at this point if one lasts 5 years and one lasts 8 I really don't care. Just looking for the best price on a quality unit, and would be helpful if I didn't have to have it reprogrammed.
Thanks!

Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I suspect, but cannot prove they came out with the new ones due to reliability problems. It would probably be worth the trouble to change the relay and have it reprogrammed. There was also an update on the old ones requiring an update and a new relay anyway, so if that was never done, you would need to do it either way.

If the vehicle is sitting lower overnight, I would also check for leaks first. The message you got, usually happens if the air tank is empty.. Yup, you are in NJ.. There is a possibility your air tank has rusted through as well.. That was mentioned to my by a LR mechanic from NJ as an issue that pops up.

Just a few ideas to kick it off.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default upgrade

I replaced my compressor two years ago and thought it would have been the upgraded one, but here I am now with suspension problems and when I asked the dealership about the part number on my receipt it turns out it is the old hitachi.

TWO YEARS and I am replacing this compressor again next week. If I were you, I would buy the upgrade and call it a selling feature when you do sell the truck.

also... why would anyone sell a Land Rover? haha