LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking down a cold start belt squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

thx abran!

am I correct the steering pump is in the center above the fan and compressor is down below on the drivers side? if yes, im thinking it might be the power steering pulley or the fan clutch. tell me about this clutch. wasnt even aware there was one...

I ruled out AC compressor as I hear no change wether AC is on or off. I would expect to hear the noise stop/start depending on if the clutch is engaged.

Power steering also seemed unlikely as I hear no noises when turning the wheel lock to lock.

Fan clutch....might be my new lead. Damnit...im back at it again.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Fan is bolted to the fan clutch, the clutch has the electrical connector coming off it.

in fact, just remove it then start the car. You don’t even need my used one.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I can’t remember but I think PS pump s lowest positiin

Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling

I still havent admitted defeat on this :-)

The noise is now lasting longer after startup so I swung by a gas station mechanic near my house to have him use a stethoscope on it. He told me the new primary tensioner was not correct. He said he's never seen a flat pulley on the ribbed side of the belt. I told him thats what is spec'd as the "new style" and he told me in 38yrs he's never seen that...

So just want to confirm this new tensioner is correct:
2005-2009 LR3 Belt Tensioner - Primary (4.4L V8)

The following users liked this post:
zboyl (10-10-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Belts routed right?

Could this be as simple as a mis-routed belt? Probably not, but your mechanic friend may be on to something. Check the service manual to make sure.

Jeff

Last edited by Rufflyer; 12-14-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, keep us updated! I've got an 07 LR3 with the exact same noise and about to go down this path! Mine started more while accelerating but has started to happen more when starting it up to!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Unfortunately no updates. Right now my best bet is @abran's last suggestion on the fan clutch. However I haven't researched how you can definitively diagnose.

I don't think the new tensioner(s) are the issue, or any belt routing issue. It was squeaking before I installed the new tensioners and is squeaking after.

I havent tossed in the towel and taken it to the shop yet because im waiting for divine intervention. That and my wife drives the car so I cant hear it...

The following users liked this post:
zboyl (10-10-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

I have a squeak too. In warm weather is lasts a short time or does not even present. The colder it gets, the worse it gets. I heard that the belt itself is the issue, but caused by the older pulley design on the tensioners that allow the belt to walk laterally creating noise. The updated pulleys should have "side-walls" to prevent the movement. I see the ones you have dont have the updated style. As for being smooth - that is correct, there are no ribs on the pulley even though its against the ribbed side of the belt. Odd indeed, but that is the design.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ey-pics-60169/

Old 12-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Im digging back into this over the weekend. Its a pride issue now and I refuse to drop it at the dealer. I picked up at 36mm fan clutch wrench so I dont need to rent the kit from OReillys anymore. I also picked up a mechanics stethoscope to see if I can diagnose a bit better. The old screwdriver on the ear doesn't work with this car since the fan will rip your head off...

@DakotaTraveler - I was certain that it was the idler pulley as well. Unfortunately I replaced it only to find that my original pulley had the updated design already..and the new one had no effect either. I think the 2009 may have had the new pulley design, or the prior owner installed it.

So after replacing the idler pulley, both tensioners and the alternator my remaining culprits are:

1. Fan clutch - I will start it without the fan this weekend to see if I can isolate this. However, I dont think its the fan because it works fine and there is no change in the squeal when the fan is running at high speed or low speed.

2. Water pump - seems unlikely.

3. Power steering pump - also seems unlikely. Fluid is good and when these go they typically squeal when turning the wheel.

4. AC compressor - seems the least likely. There is no difference if the AC is on or off.

I still think its something with the tensioners or belt. I bought new belts to try those, even though mine are less than 2yrs old.

My plan is...

1. Take the fan off to see if that isolates it

2. If not, take each belt off. I think I can run the car with belts for 30 seconds without blowing it up, correct?

3. If that doesn't isolate...I will just start banging on things :-)

Wish me luck.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

I did get around to solving mine, at least. I replaced the idler pulley and the rearward (belt in back) pulley on the tensioner. I felt no need to replace the tensioner itself. Sadly where I purchased my pulleys from indicated that both tensioners used the same pulley. Not true. So the tensioner on the left side, the forward one, did not get a new pulley. But after those two and a fresh set of belts I have no squeak at all in any temperature. When I can locate the correct pulley for the other, I will replace it too as good measure.

But back to the belts, I somehow thought you did replace them. Because that is usually the cause of the squeak. From what I have read, the old pulley design causes wear on the belt which in turn causes the belt to squeak. So it's not the pulleys themselves causing the noise, but what they do to the belt itself instead. But as you said, the pulley was updated already...

Quick Reply: Tracking down a cold start belt squeak