LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission “fixed” but now I’ve lost sport and manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soarvet
Did you ever get the issue resolved? I have the same issue.
I had accidentally bent a pin on the mechatronic TCM when re-installing everything. New (used) part fixed the issue.

if you haven’t recently unplugged your mechatronic unit, then it is more than likely an issue with corrosion on the shifter assembly connector or the TCM under the hood.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Mudding
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 03evan
I had accidentally bent a pin on the mechatronic TCM when re-installing everything. New (used) part fixed the issue.

if you haven’t recently unplugged your mechatronic unit, then it is more than likely an issue with corrosion on the shifter assembly connector or the TCM under the hood.
Where is the mechatronic located? I've unplugged the connector on the shifter assembly and it looks clean. TCM?? is that the Transfer case control module or is that referring to something else? I've already replaced the TCCM and got a lot of stuff resolved. The "D" on my selector stays lit 24/7.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Where is the mechatronic located? I've unplugged the connector on the shifter assembly and it looks clean. TCM?? is that the Transfer case control module or is that referring to something else? I've already replaced the TCCM and got a lot of stuff resolved. The "D" on my selector stays lit 24/7.
if you selector stays lit than it is an issue with the plugs on your shift assembly more than likely.

the mechatronic unit is inside of the transmission itself. You have to remove the pan to get to it.

the mechatronic unit will almost certainly have nothing to do with what lights up on your shift column.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:47 PM
Mudding

okay, so I did replace my transmission filter with the AB conversion kit, but I didn't mess with the mechatronics or anything else in there. Yeah, my selector "D" stays lit and my sport mode does not work. My dash works from PND, but once I move the gear selector over to sport mode for manual shifting it still shows D. No error messages, no OBDII codes. It drives great, but I'd like for it to work for when I go off-road or want to manually downshift to pass. I bought a new gear selector assy, I may swap it out and see if that does anything.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Drifting

okay, so I did replace my transmission filter with the AB conversion kit, but I didn't mess with the mechatronics or anything else in there. Yeah, my selector "D" stays lit and my sport mode does not work. My dash works from PND, but once I move the gear selector over to sport mode for manual shifting it still shows D. No error messages, no OBDII codes. It drives great, but I'd like for it to work for when I go off-road or want to manually downshift to pass. I bought a new gear selector assy, I may swap it out and see if that does anything.
The dash will still say D in sport mode with a little tiny “sport” next to it. What happens if you try to manually change gears in tip tronic mode?

Old 10-06-2020, 02:23 PM
Mudding

I don't think I get anything. I've moved it to the left, I don't remember seeing any little "sport" next to the D. I've tried to run through the gears and I don't get any numbers. Gotta be an electrical connection somewhere. I don't believe the linkage down at the transmission does anything with command shift, it just controls P-R-N-D. Command shift is electronically controlled.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

....when you manually shift, do the gears change? (not on the dash, but in actuality...can you feel it?)

Old 10-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
....when you manually shift, do the gears change? (not on the dash, but in actuality...can you feel it?)
Just drove to baseball practice and tried shifting. It does nothing. Tried downshifting... nothing. Upshifting... nothing.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Sounds like it could be more than just electrical, then....not sure.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:13 PM
Drifting

Just drove to baseball practice and tried shifting. It does nothing. Tried downshifting... nothing. Upshifting... nothing.
Its electrical. You need to check the TCM under the hood (behind the battery) and physically remove the shifter and inspect the connections.

Quick Reply: Transmission “fixed” but now I’ve lost sport and manual mode