LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid flush/change

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid flush/change

Checked with the dealer in my area, and several independent shops who work on Land Rover and they tell me that a transmission fluid change is 800 - 1000 dollars, most of which is labor (5 hours). They will not change the fluid without changing the filter, which is part of the plastic pan.

I know the LR labor book says 5 hours, but does this really take that long? If so, why? Is there something peculiar about this process on a Land Rover (2006 LR3 SE)? Has anyone taken their vehicle to a transmission shop and had any issues with this process?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Three Wheeling

That's quite expensive at $800-1000 if you ask me. If you're mechanically inclined, you can do this procedure yourself.

You'll want to double-flush it. So, you'll need 10L of ZF LifeGuard6. I got my genuine ZF fluid from: The CTSC - ZF Parts. It came out to $220 shipped for 10 liters.

Also, our LR3s come with a plastic pan. I did the steel pan conversion. I special-ordered the parts from Germany. I believe it was around $230 for the metal pan, gasket and all new bolts. With the steel pan, you can buy filters separately and not have to change out the pan each time you want to change the filter (like the current plastic one).

Here's a link to a copy of "Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill" guide:
disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/11468/Transmission%20Fluid%20Drain%20and%20Refill.pdf

You'll want to search through some LR forums and read people's comments on changing it yourself if you do decide to do it yourself. Specifically warming up the fluid to the right temperature.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

More of the same, from the factory shop manual, free to download below. Dealer will be charging for everything including removal of battery tray and exhaust system.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fluid Pan, Gasket and Filter.pdf (135.6 KB, 599 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Hmmm....my LR Dealer Service Dept replaced the fluid only for me...a while back. I believe it was around $500; a little less maybe. I can't remember why they didn't want to replace the pan; but I will insist on it next time, which may be 150k miles, maybe sooner.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Overlanding

Mine was 455$ at my mechanic in seatlte wa. Flushed and new filter .

Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Drifting

That's BS. Most places like Jiffy Lube, or Mobil Quick Lube should be able to do the job for substantially less than that! The have the machine to back-flush through the filter and torque converter, should be no more than $200!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Three Wheeling

I read the procedure for fluid and filter change from another post on this forum. OMG! Remove the exhaust and lift the engine to get the pan out? And it's plastic to boot! Really?

That process is now #1 on my "stupidest things I've ever heard" list!

Tony C - did you have it done at one of those shops? Were you satisfied?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

BG transmission flush costs around 160 to 300 depending on area and its guaranteed. works better and its easier to work on. My former land rover dealer has been doing them for years long before disco twos even. No problems whatsoever.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by er1c
That's quite expensive at $800-1000 if you ask me. If you're mechanically inclined, you can do this procedure yourself.

You'll want to double-flush it. So, you'll need 10L of ZF LifeGuard6. I got my genuine ZF fluid from: The CTSC - ZF Parts. It came out to $220 shipped for 10 liters.

Also, our LR3s come with a plastic pan. I did the steel pan conversion. I special-ordered the parts from Germany. I believe it was around $230 for the metal pan, gasket and all new bolts. With the steel pan, you can buy filters separately and not have to change out the pan each time you want to change the filter (like the current plastic one).

Here's a link to a copy of "Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill" guide:
disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/11468/Transmission%20Fluid%20Drain%20and%20Refill.pdf

You'll want to search through some LR forums and read people's comments on changing it yourself if you do decide to do it yourself. Specifically warming up the fluid to the right temperature.
So you didn't have to raise the engine or remove the exhaust to swap out the pan?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
BG transmission flush costs around 160 to 300 depending on area and its guaranteed. works better and its easier to work on. My former land rover dealer has been doing them for years long before disco twos even. No problems whatsoever.
Sorry, I don't know what a "BG transmission flush" is. Can you give me more info? Is that something that a transmission shop can do?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid flush/change