LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission repair

Wonder if somebody can enlighten me; have a few questions regarding my '05 LR3 - a tedious amount of background, don't want to bore everybody with it. Maybe after I get some feedback I'll have a transmission shop / aftermarket warranty tale to tell.
Anybody heard of a 'Box kit # 95004'? Apparently it's some kind of transmission rebuild kit - I'd guess aftermarket.
Does anybody have any idea of re & re time for the transmission on LR3? 14 hours seems a little excessive to me...
And finally, how about 'rebuild' time for that transmission?
I'm really feeling that a made a bad decision using this particular national transmission shop, but kind of got carried along by after market warranty company, who on reflection seem to have a very close relationship with tranny shop. It actually took a vague threat of legal action before anybody would give me an invoice that said anything other than 'strip and repair transmission'.
Any input appreciated.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of a rebuild kit for this tranny. You're going to need this:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TGD500431RK.cfm

Not rebuilt, remanufactured by ZF. 14 hours? Don't know about that, but there's a lot to these trucks so it doesn't surprise me. I think they also have to hook up to computers (T4) to activate solenoids during removal and replacing. Have to remove transfer case too. Uses special tools to remove torque converter. It's 9 pages in the workshop manual.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see Transmission Parts Transmission kits Banner Kit, ZF6HP26, 02-UP BMW/JAG/ LINCOLN/LAND ROVER for the kit, it does not include "steels". Also this fine blurb from the shop manual:

Blurb 1:

The 6HP26 transmission has the following features:
�� Designed to be maintenance free
�� Transmission fluid is 'fill for life'
�� The torque converter features a controlled slip feature with electronically regulated control of lock-up, creating a
smooth transition to the fully locked condition
�� Shift programs controlled by the TCM
�� Connected to the ECM via the High Speed CAN for communications
�� Default mode if major faults occur
�� Diagnostics available from the TCM via the CAN.

Blurb 2:

The Mechatronic valve block is located in the bottom of the transmission and is covered by the fluid pan. The valve block
houses the TCM, electrical actuators, speed sensors and control valves which provide all electro-hydraulic control for all
transmission functions. The Mechatronic valve block comprises the following components:
�� TCM
�� Six pressure regulator solenoids
�� One shift control solenoid
�� One damper
�� Twenty one hydraulic spool valves
�� Manually operated selector valve
�� Temperature sensor
�� Turbine speed sensor
�� Output shaft speed sensor.

Somehow, I would not think of this as an average DIY project. On the other hand, I had the misfortune to once work for a skunk who had been a regional manager for AAMCO transmissions, he told me they had same labor for most trannys, and paid the same for kits, Chevy, Ford, or Mercedes; but charged 4 times the labor on the Mercedes and other high end cars. I'm sure their tender mercies are being extended to you.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what AllData has listed for the hours for the transmission work so it doesn't look like 14 hours would be too far off...note that you're likely to be paying the "standard" hours - "mfg warranty" hours is what the shop is allowed to bill LR back I think.

Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
Diagnose/Test

Oil Leak, Diagnosis
Includes: Clean And Dry Outside Of Case And Operate Unit To Determine Point Of Leakage.
B 0.0 0.5
Transmission, Diagnosis
Includes: Time To Hook-Up And Disconnect Test Equipment. Checking System For Fault Codes, Road Test And Hydraulic Pressure Test As Required.
A 0.0 1.8
Replace

Complete Assembly Without Transfer Of Parts
B 6.9 9.8
NOTE

To R&R Driveplate, Add
B 0.0 0.2
To R&R Torque Converter Add
B 0.0 0.2
Complete Assembly With Transfer Of Parts
B 7.3 10.4
NOTE

To R&R Driveplate, Add
B 0.0 0.2
LR3 Add
B 0.0 0.2
To R&R Torque Converter Add
B 0.0 0.2
To Overhaul Valve Body, Add
B 0.0 1.5
To Flush Cooler Lines, Add
B 0.0 0.6
Overhaul/Rebuild
B 0.0 16.9

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is your problem? How about telling us your problem instead of wasting the time at a transmission shop that doesn't know anything but rebuilding stuff.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Look for dead Audi's and Merc around an independents tranny shop

The ZF in our 3 can be repaired, but as with Mercedes and Audi, generally not by the dealer.

While it is too late for you now, ideally one looks for a true independent, (not a chain shop), who's parking lot is littered with dead Mercedes and Audie's. That guy will understand the ZF transmission and the repair will be OK - well not for your wallet, but otherwise will be work out just fine.

The link below is to some material I have collected on the ZF 6HP26X that is in our 3's. Also if you Google the tranny, you will find parts lists and the like on the internet from US based suppliers.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3

Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Overlanding

Thanks so much for your responses. I'm always amazed at the depth of knowledge and willingness to help on this forum.
I'm pretty certain I got sucked in to a repair that I suspected was far higher than it should have been - particularly when the first bill I was presented with said "strip and repair transmission." After your input, I now think it was higher, but not as bad as first I thought - plus of course there's the "he's driving an LR3" factor, I'm sure.
Live and learn.
Damn! That LR3 is a delight though, isn't it?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:47 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So let me get this straight, you haven't even told us what is the problem and all the info that is displayed isnt really learned. Its just copied and pasted. If you want to really here from people and their knowledge you have tell us what is really wrong with the vehicle. You are simply bitching about an inferior tranny shop that knows nothing. Tell us what is wrong first and then we can help you. You might be surprised you might need a simple reprogram of your modules and no actual work. Or even the fluid just changed or topped off if there is a leak.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Overlanding

Wow!
Okay Rovin, here goes:
Firstly, please accept my sincerest apologies. I thought this forum was a pool for all kinds of knowledge - including my situation.
Yes, Rovin, I did take my LR3 to a tranny shop. I actually don't know whether it was inferior or not. I mentioned in my first post that I kind of got carried along, perhaps made a bad decision. You see, the transmission issue is resolved. I know enough to know that I'd have no clue what to do (therefore I wasn't asking how to do it), but I was charged 14 hours to re & re. Now had somebody posted that re & re time was 3 hours, I would have been considering taking some kind of action against either tranny shop or warranty company.
Do you see where I'm going with this?
So my question was answered, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
I love the little Red Adair quote you have on your posting, and would totally agree. But tell me (so I'll know next time, tho hopefully there won't be one), how does one know good transmission shop? I live in the Greater Toronto area, population some 5m. Lot of tranny shops in that area. How to sort the wheat from the chaff... I'm potentially stranded by the roadside. What would you do?
So. I'm embarrassed enough Rovin, that I probably got ripped off. I didn't mean to bitch - I was actually wondering if I had anything to bitch about! Thus my original question.
Honestly, the tone of your posting isn't really very helpful, is it? Helpful people just answered the question.
Maybe the question didn't give you the opportunity to show your true depth of knowledge.
I probably have some even dumber questions, but don't think I'll be posting them here anytime soon so you can try to make me feel small.
Again, thanks to others for responses - and relax, enjoy your LR3s!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You were trying to figure out if you got hosed or not after the fact. We understand, no worries. In the future, post the problem and resolution so we all can learn together.

By the way, what was the original symptoms that caused you to take it in? Like Rovin said, it could have been a simple remedy; depending on what the symptoms were, what the shop told you was wrong and what you were bilked, you still might have been taken for a ride

Quick Reply: Transmission repair