LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ok you don't have to pay me..lol
I am quite sure this is the problem. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
keep us posted

Cheers

Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I suppose if it still registers different speeds, then maybe there is a bad speed sensor?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished rotating the tires back to original positions before brake pad change and took it for a drive.

Holy Crap! It worked! Within the first mile, it was shifting normally with no hang ups and high RPM shifting unless demanded by acceleration.

Wow, who'da thunk it !!

Thanks to Mike G for the solution, although I am not sure I understand how it worked!

Now the real question. How do I rotate my tires?

BTW

Mike G, I have DVD NAV problem in this blog associated with my user name.

Want to try for two in a row??

Thanks again to all who gave input of any kind!

My wife loves her LR3 and both of us will sleep better tonight!

Ynot

Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Great!! I was gonna bet my left nut on it but I don't want you dirty bastards coming to my house to collect..lol

Land rover recommends to rotate your tires side to side. Honestly you should have been able to do it the way you did. you have a problem with one of the rear tires possibly a manufacturing defect or a mismatched size. what brand are they?
The only way you'll find out which one it is is to measure the trie circumference, tread depth or datalog the wheel speeds.

point me to your nav thread ill takre a peek..

and you're most cetrtainly welcome!!

M G

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Overlanding

Wanted to add one more thing. Now that Iknow my trouble is with the back set of tires, I rechecked tire pressure, tread depth and size information.

You guessed it, there are two different sized tires on the back rims!!

One is a 225/55/R19 and the other three tires are 225/60/R19. When I had them replaced lasy year adn 7,500 miles ago, I ordered all 225/55/R19s. Who would have thought that you had to go out and check to make sure your tire guy put all the correct tires on your vehicle. I mean, changing tires is not like brain surgery, is it?

Wow, very shocked!

Now do I get a 60/R19 to match the other tire or shold I stay with all 55/R19s??

Ynot

Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Rock Crawling

You could try asking the company that sent the tires to do the right thing and send you the tires you ordered. But they may come back with a response like it was your reponsiblity to check them all before you had them installed.. Give it a try.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 AM
Overlanding

Just a follow up message to close out this LR3 issue.

Again, thanks to Mike for solving a problem that two "Master Mechancis" in Germany had no solution too!

I originally bought (wanted) 4 x 255/55/R19s and had them mounted.

What they put on my 2006 LR3 was three 255/60/R19s and one 255/55/R19. I did not notice until the tire rotation (mis-match was on the back tires) and subsequent shifting problems.

Now I am currently stationed in Germany and this tire purchase and mounting happened back in the US.

Even though the firestone dealer made the mistake (and I am a little pissed off) and caused the problem, I want to give him credit for standing by their services.

Let me explain.

It cost me almost 230 USD for the two LR dealershipos to diagnose and not fix my vehicle. So, in my eyes the dealer owes me a tire to make a match set of four and about 230 USD to re-imburse me for the mechanic fees.

What they gave me was two 255/60/R19s to make a match set of two that could stay together for the duration on their 40,000.

It cost me 434.63 at tirerack.com to purchase and ship and the Firestone dealer reimbursed me for the enitre cost. I will mount and balanbce at an auto craft shop locally.

That is not a bad deal!

Ynot

Old 12-21-2013, 09:10 AM
2nd Gear

My 2006 RR sport did not change gear at all in auto (worked in manual, also had faults for HDC etc). Had long story written about how I had tires checked/changed and other stuff I tried but had registration issue and will keep it short as I don't want to type it again. My problem was caused due to some led bulbs I installed over a year ago, never gave any problems till now. Put standard bulbs back in, all working normal now.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This was a fun thread. That Mike. Smart guy.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 AM
2nd Gear

Seems I spoke too soon. The problem has returned (so I guess it wasnt the LEDs). I've traced it down to one of the brake/tail lights. It's either a bad one or I guess it maybe the brake light switch. With the bulb removed all is well again. Don't have a replacement bulb yet, so we'll see what happens when I do put a new one in.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Problem