LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shifting Problem

Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shifting Problem

Recently changed all four brake pads. No issues except that there were two wear sensors instead of one as stated in the instructions. BTW, LF and RR calipers. No issues and easy to replace.

I did forget to change the tire pressures as I rotated the tires from rear to front and rear.

When I drove home from the shop, I immediately noticed my 2006 LR3 V8 HSE was shifting strangely.

Adjusted the tire pressure to factory recommendations. Still shifting strangely.

First into second and second into third were no problemn, no matter the road or accelerator action. Third seemd to hang a bit into fourth.

Now the problem, my LR wants to stay in fourth gear until it hits between 5,000 and 5,500 RPM at almost 70-75 MPH. Fifth into sixth gear seems okay at about 3,000 RPM shift.

Took it to the LR maintenance shop here in Germany and was told that my LR had no transmission faults and that it was learning my driving habits and the road conditions associated with Germany.

I relayed that it did not make sense dsince I have been driving it almost a year over here with no transmission problem. No problems when it first got here from the states.

The master mechanic told me to drive it home and give it another week of driving at least a 100 miles in order for the transmission to learn my driving habits all over again.

On the drive home, again first into second and second into third no issues. Wants to hang up on third until 4,000 RPM and not shift into fifth until almost 5,000 RPM. Once it hits fifth, it immediately shifts into sixth gear.

Sport shifting is working as advertised!

Called the shop and they told me that they will have to completely erase the memory for the transmiision and drive my LR3 for two plus hours to teach it how to shift.

I am at a loss. I know I am not a mechanic, but does this even pass the common sense test?

What is going on?? My faith in my LR mechanic is on shaky ground!!

Ynot

Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what the hell are they smoking. It only takes a half and hour to repgm the ecu and the tcu together to fix the problem. the issue is difference in programming. just get both done together for .5 maybe an hour and tell them not to drive it. My god, typical German shop rules are so asenine compared to us Americans. Hell any us dealer would have programmed the vehicle gave it back to you and be gone with it. Perhaps double check the fluid level anyway. Not that its not a bad idea to change the transmission fluid in them. I am sure the dealer will say filled for life and not waste the time even though they are happy to put a new transmission in it.

Here is the german bg products distributor.
BG Deutschland/Osterreich H. Heinzer GmbH
Werner-von-Siemens-Strabe 13
D-63150 Heusenstamm
Frankfurt, Germany
011 49 69 6611 99 44 Phone
011 49 69 6611 99 45 Fax
ulrich-heinzer@bgprod.de
good luck ask them for a shop that does bg transmission services and they will direct you to one in your area.

Last edited by Rovin4life; 06-28-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have heard similar stories in the past about the shifting.

I am suspicious of the problem when you just did the brakes. Have you checked to be sure that your emergency brake or brakes are not hanging up. This would mean the wheels would be getting hot.

Several users have reported this problem and resolved it with a new battery. It seems the defective battery was causing computer issues.

I think it is a good idea to flash the transmission with the latest software, you should also change the fluid. This is a ZF transmission, and is made in Germany. You should have no problem finding a good ZF transmission shop there.

Have your battery tested. Ensure your brakes are calibrated properly. I am attaching the Bodsy's Brake Bible. Link here. This is a very very good reference.

Be sure and post your results when the problem is resolved.

Fluid Changes:

Transmission every 60,000 miles
Transfer Case every 60,000 miles to 75,000 miles.
Differentials every 25,000 miles

Old 06-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No reprogramming, or BG trans service is going to fix this. Nor is a new transmission!
Rotate your tires back. One of the front tires is either mismatched or the tread wear is more on one side than the other.
If the wheel speed on the front wheels is more than 1kph different from l/s to r/s it will cause this fault.
Find the two tires on the truck that are the same brand and size and make sure the tread wear is the same, put these on the front. or just put 2 new tires on you probably need them...
This is the problem,You can pay me, or have your dealer pay me (paypal) to teach them how to fix this.
$300.00 is my fee for the diagnosis when it's fixed...

The following users liked this post:
Cjlr3 (06-12-2019)
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Overlanding

The dealer checked the brakes and pads, they are not hanging up.

The tires were brough only 7,500 miles ago and this is the first rotation on them.

Another LR maintenace shop has it now and at least they drove it with me to see what I was experienceing.

This morning it did not want to shift out of third at 5,500 rpm. Trip-tronic still works.

Something is not sending/or sending the incorrect signal to the tranny to shift.

Well we see what they come up with.

Ynot

Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Please ask the tech to rotate the rear tires back to the front, then drive it.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Overlanding

I have already adjusted my tire pressures after the rotation. I will put them back and re-adjust the pressures back to where they were.

Anything to do after the rotation and pressure adjustment?

Ynot

Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

After the rotation, drive it and see if the problem is solved. Then report back here.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Overlanding

I will let the forum know what is going on. The dealer just called and they do not know what is causing my tranny to not shift correctly.

No fault codes in the computer and still hanging onto third and fourth gear way too long.

They want to go after the center console gear shifter itself ayt a cost of 500 USd parts and labor. Pretty exepnsive guess work!

I am rotating my tires after work, wish me luck!

Ynot

Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling

If you still have a problem, I would recommend ususing SDD datalogger function to measure the front wheel speeds while driving. If they are 1kph different or more you will need to investigate why they are different.

Cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Problem