LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trim Pieces & OEM Plastic Clips

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 04:59 PM
jh.
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trim Pieces & OEM Plastic Clips

Hi all - I'm struggling with LR molding fasteners/clips.

When I got my LR3, the front doors were both missing the lower molding. The passenger piece was in the car and reattaches with a decent whack. Unfortunately it loosens almost every time the door slams shut, so I've removed it to not lose it on the highway. This looks like crap (white circles) so I'm tempted to just remove them all while I figure this out, but then I'd have to buy even more clips (see below).

I bought a replacement lower molding for the drivers side and also struggled to get the clips to 'latch.' So it too is in the garage while I figure this out.

A few weeks back the driver's side A-Pillar decided to disintegrate (at least the lowest clip housing did) and the rest couldn't hold the plastic down. It's off now as well.

TL;DR I am down 3 of the 4 front moldings (wheel arches excluded) and cannot get the damn things to latch. Short of epoxying, what am I doing wrong? I am going to order a new A-Pillar off ebay but the clips off of AB...and am tempted to get new clips all around ($9 for 20x on ebay or $1.95ea on AB...yuck), but the new ones that came with the door molding seem to have the same fitment issues as the 17yo OEM clips. The trim never gets snug and secure.

Is there a trick I am missing?

thx -

Old 10-23-2023, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't use glue. I think you're just having bad luck. First, make absolutely sure you are using the correct clip. There are dozens of different ones, and some of them look almost identical. The quality and fitment varies. I have also experienced brand new clips which just didn't fit right. I have had various plastic bits on and off dozens of times. I always use new clips. I have a fairly organized storage system. This means zero stress regarding broken clips. Also, I stick a piece of duct tape with sharpie marker text to the back (unseen) part of the trim piece - indicating part number and placement.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:39 AM
Mudding
Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Seconded, Many of the clips are not meant to be used more than once. If you touch the A pillar trim and put it back using the original clips there is somewhat of a danger that the trim will go flying on a highway….

Also do note that the front door lower trim got a TSB for updated clips, you need to have two different ones. See https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/alb...Detachment.pdf

Last edited by kajtzu; 10-24-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2023, 07:42 AM
Mudding
Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a clip box like this one, https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/ki...-1238394-p.asp, which got me started. I’ve then purchased bags of aftermarket clips to fill it up when it has needed filling up… mostly from AliExpress.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:29 PM
jh.
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you both - ordering new clips and will try again.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:21 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just did this as well but…

I could not bring myself to spend the $350-/+ for set of new ones… I bought the LR3 clip kit for the pillars from BA and went crazy with the neoprene and windshield seals… after a heavy scrape of the old foam and a nice sharp utility knife applied to the olde rotten black rubber wiper made things pretty even.… Then a good cleaning of surfaces, I installed the neoprene and new seal best I could eye ball and Shazam..new seals and clips, same damn patina. Grin!

frickin worked. Lil tight when “clipping” in but it Looks pretty darn good. Like it never happened.!

**prays for no more leaks**

The following users liked this post:
jh. (11-10-2023)