LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak & Misfire Warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 03:25 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Water Leak & Misfire Warning

Hi All

Recently back from a 1600 mile trip from PA to VA in my LR3. For the most part the LR3 was immense. Comfortable on the long journey, with two kiddies under 4, wife and a trunk full of booze!

Really impressed with how it coped off road in VA as we were 20 minutes from a main road and had to the dirt a lot to get around.

I did have a issue with reduced engine performance. Seemed there was multiple misfire warnings and LR3 limped along (Forgot to pack Gap tool). I'm wondering if the fuel in rural VA wasn't up to premium standards as I filled up from a BP/Shell on the way out of VA and the performance immediately improved. Haven't had warnings since and LR3 is running smoothly. I'm booked in for a comprehensive service as just hit 95k miles so will definitely get the plugs and coils checked, but wondering if anyone else has perhaps experienced this?

Second issue which my wife just told me about was that she opened the rear door on the drivers side today (LHD) and a ton of water came flooding out (we had a big storm last night). However, I cannot see where the water has come in from. Not all the car is wet and the headliner is completely dry. I've syphoned off all the water and it's currently drying out but there was a lot of wiring sat under water. Attached a picture so you can see. Seal around the door is in good condition and the front drivers floor and footwell is dry. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks all.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Could easily be bad fuel. If it got better, then it may just have been that.

Water enters from three common locations:
• Front exterior a-pillar trim. There is a tech article on resolving this leak, will attach below. Easy fix.
• Sunroof drains. Two in front, two in back. So far I have only personally seen the fronts leak. They are a horrible design that traps debris This debris hold water. The water rots the ends. Then when it rains water gets in around the sunroof and it pours right into the cabin. You can pull the lower panel under the steering and look at that drain. Way up there but can't miss it. Had a black rubber 90 degree boot on the end that should be pushed into the metal bodywork to hold its tip. Passenger side is harder to see and much harder to fix. Video below.
• The last place it the cabin air inlet. The windshield wiper cowl warps so the seal along the windshield gains a gap. Water can then drip from the bottom edge of the glass windshield and into the air intake. A wet cabin filter is the easiest way to check for this one.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LA501-006 A pillar water leak.pdf (107.6 KB, 235 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 09:43 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I dried out the space and it's been fine. However, big downpour here last night, went outside to check and again and water in the void by the rear passenger door entry where the wiring runs. Weekend of storms here so once they pass, I'll see if I can do further troubleshooting. Just need to work out where from and sort now!