LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 07:09 AM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Big cost Savings

Originally Posted by wichipong
i dont have a space to do it myself. just curious on how much everyone pays nowadays... ive seen at the dealership its around upwards of 200 bucks...
The cost at the dealer is more than you would pay at a quick oil change place, but one advantage of the dealer is they are hungry to find things to repair, so they will let you know if there are any problems. So I suppose there is some value in that.

I get a 5 liter (qt) of Castrol 5w30 from Amazon for $22 it takes 1 1/5 jugs. If you but 3 you have enough for 2 oil changes. A Mann oil filter varies from $18-$23 dollars so supplies for 2 oil changes is about $112.
By doing the oil changes myself, I get to do an inspection every time I am under the car.

But like you said you don't have the space, so your options are limited. I seldom say this but in your situation, you may be better off staying with the dealership and keeping the inspection aspect for you to better know the condition of your Rover.

Jeff

Old 02-27-2024, 02:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Working through maintenance list on "new to me" LR3

Well, took a 2.5 hour drive north to take care of some family things for my adult kids and after getting back I got an error with the EPB when setting it. I had heard a squealing from the drivers side a few days prior and moved the item up on the maintenance list, but this brought it to the top of the list. I was able to unlock the EPB by putting it in service mode and then proceeded to change out the Shoes, Hardware, Brake pads and sensor. Adjusted everything according to the service manual and all is well with the rear brakes and EPB once again! I will say that while putting shoes on the LR3 for the EPB is not super difficult, the first time in is a bit of a challenge due to space constraints. Next time around it will be much easier.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeffware:
houm_wa (02-27-2024), loanrangie (02-27-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:37 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you plasti dip your rims also? I had mine powered coated but look similar to yours.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (02-28-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 05:31 PM
Winching
Default New rear bumper

Finally had time to stop doing homestead things and do some rover things. Not that homestead things are bad since I get to use a chainsaw and drive a tractor. After sitting in a crate next to my shipping container for some time I finally installed my new rear bumper with swing out spare tire and Jerry can holder

loanrangie (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 12:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swing out looks great Rufflyer! As you get familiar with the new method for hatch opening, let us know how you feel about the couple extra steps. I imagine you'll form some habits. With 4 items swinging in 4 unique directions, it's reminding me of a "predator" from the sci fi films (2 sets of jaws that open horizontally and vertically). I really love these swing outs like you have now, with the extra jerry cans on one side and tire on the other! But the main thing holding me back from getting one myself, is that I also love how convenient it is to open the upper hatch only, or the lower tailgate as a quick bench and work surface - and I'm not sure how I would respond to needing to swing a few things out of the way first. So I'm curious about your transition to that new method. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Originally Posted by Rufflyer

Old 03-05-2024, 06:31 AM
Winching

kndrewa

I had a swing out spare tire carrier on the 2007 LR3 that I sold to my son, so I am aware of the "extra" steps involved in getting into the back. Yes I like the portable table/workbench as well. I do have two front runner tables that mount under the roof rack, so if the table need gets too serious, I can alway pull one of those out. My jeep friends (yes, I have some of those) have the same problem. The decision to do this now is two fold.
1. I need to go "into town" every 3-4 week to get fuel for the gator (red can of gasoline) and the compact tractor (green can of diesel). As it turns out each has a five gallon tank so that was easy.
2. I recently moved up the LT 265/60/18 Cooper Discovery light truck tires that are NOTICEABLY heavier than the old passenger tires.

My plan is to leave the spare tire carrier on all the time and just put the jerry can holder on when I need to get fuel since it is easy to remove and install.

Jeff

Old 03-24-2024, 12:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I 3d printed some goodies

I 3d printed a wireless charging station for the cubby with a switch panel for the ashtray opening. waiting for parts to install 2nd battery to add the third switch. Next up Dash cap ....

The following 4 users liked this post by Jeffware:
ArmyRover (03-24-2024), bbyer (03-24-2024), DakotaTravler (03-24-2024), loanrangie (03-24-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 221 Likes on 195 Posts

Replaced the CV boots on my front left axle which i found when swapping struts a few weeks ago, the split one held up for 3 weeks after i used household silicone to keep it together.
Bought a set of LCA bushes from the UK so added an OEM GKN boot kit to the order.
The inner shaft refused to come out so i just cleaned it out in situ then re-greased and attached the new boot when refitting the outer shaft.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:01 AM
Winching

Loanrangie

That left front axle is unbelievably difficult to remove. I don't blame you for leaving it in for something like a CV boot. Having a fleet of 5 L319's in the family I finally broke down and got a proper Land Rover axle removal tool just because of the difficulty with the left front axle.
Next to the special tool to remove and install the bearings and seals where those axles plug in or maybe the control arm bushing tools, it was one of the best investments I have made.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Jeff

bbyer (03-31-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 06:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 221 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
Loanrangie

That left front axle is unbelievably difficult to remove. I don't blame you for leaving it in for something like a CV boot. Having a fleet of 5 L319's in the family I finally broke down and got a proper Land Rover axle removal tool just because of the difficulty with the left front axle.
Next to the special tool to remove and install the bearings and seals where those axles plug in or maybe the control arm bushing tools, it was one of the best investments I have made.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Jeff

It just would not budge and i even bent a small wrecking bar trying to lever it out, it was a no brainer to just leave it in and change the boots and grease.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?