LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:27 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Well...

I had an interesting weekend. I custom made brackets and mounted two hella's to the LR bull bar on front. Then had to chase down a blown / corroded relay in the power to the original LR driving lights kit. Swapped the relay and the lights worked

Moved onto the Navi module (getting the "navi not fitted" error). Ordered in a new module from junk yard in KY. Hooked it up and got the same error. My heart sank lol So I got angry and walked away for a while. I came back and tested every single fuse I could in the passenger fuse panel, then got crafty to test every wire for continuity in that harness. I'm running all good grounds, all 12V +'s (except for mic+ running 4.5V). I went ahead and tested the module using a 12V battery directly to main power and ground pins, still couldn't get a DVD to eject. So at this point I have 100% isolated the issue to the module itself. I'll be contacting the yard and swapping the one they sent for a 100% tested working unit and hopefully be done with this navi issue for a while

I also had a friend give me a set of black rhino rods. He said "go ahead and install them, takes 10-15 minutes). Yea right lol took 30 minutes to swap the fronts and the rears a solid and very painful hour. So painful that I even snapped the right rear ride height sensor in the process of mounting the new rods. The factory rods just wouldn't come off, new rods just wouldn't go on. I couldn't use enough grease / pb blaster lol it was a nightmare. So I had to decommission the truck until that sensor comes in

Finally, I pulled the 2nd row seats in prep of receiving a new set of seats in the next couple days. Previous owner had a large dog that gouged the seats pretty heavily, enough to concern me with how they looked. So that'll hopefully be an easy process and I hope the seats look decent that come in.

Busy weekend

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by zoltan7
I also had a friend give me a set of black rhino rods. He said "go ahead and install them, takes 10-15 minutes). Yea right lol took 30 minutes to swap the fronts and the rears a solid and very painful hour. So painful that I even snapped the right rear ride height sensor in the process of mounting the new rods. The factory rods just wouldn't come off, new rods just wouldn't go on. I couldn't use enough grease / pb blaster lol it was a nightmare. So I had to decommission the truck until that sensor comes in
Yeah, the first time you take those rods off can be a real pain. You have to break through all the crusty crap that's cemented them to the height sensor arms over the years. Once you do finally get them off, the next time, it will literally take 20 seconds per wheel. I'm surprised that you had trouble getting the new ones on though... that's usually not too bad.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:46 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rovering the Sierras

Impressed with the hidden capabilities of this rig

The following 2 users liked this post by scorpion:
bbyer (04-08-2017), edhammond (04-06-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure where I left off - but most recently I have done the metal transmission pan conversion, mainly due to the connector (mechatrnic?) sleeve leaking - I figured if I have to take the pan off to do the sleeve, I might as well do the conversion.
After the trans pan I replaced my alternator, and replaced the brake pad warning sensor of the front (driver side, obviously) - the one I inadvertanly sheared when I replaced the front driver's hub.

Lots done on my rig so far - and lots more that I want to do.

On the down side - the grinding noise that wentaway when I replaced the front hubs, has returned. I am thinking it must be a brake dragging, or maybe one of the rear bearings...

My journey of Land Rover ownership continues...

Old 04-09-2017, 01:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally backup sensors working on lr3

finally success!! First thought it was the module. No. Looked at the wire harness. All checked out. Ordered sensors for under 40 bucks off eBay from seller no.1-oem (they have 569 positive). All 4 sensors. Replaced all of them and am happy to report they all are working great! Project took about 30-45 minutes. Also recharged my ac today. I'll wait to add a second can (1st can only had 18oz) but outside ambient temp wasn't ideal. It's currently 60f here in NYC.

bbyer (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Busy weekend...

Have had a productive weekend and cleared most of my problem codes:
  • Full set of new NGK spark pugs
  • PCV replaced
  • Replaced no. 3 ignition coil

Now I'm still getting persistent P0171 P0174 lean codes. Have not been able to identify a vacuum leak yet so still troubleshooting.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChicagoAv8tor
  • PCV replaced

Now I'm still getting persistent P0171 P0174 lean codes. Have not been able to identify a vacuum leak yet so still troubleshooting.
I use to get those codes frequently. Took the plunge and got a new maf sensor from pep boys. I think it cost 60 bucks with the return of my unit to them. It's been almost 2 years now. All good.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Vauum leak - air filter piping rubber rings

Originally Posted by ChicagoAv8tor
  • PCV replaced

The round plastic duct that runs between the rectangular engine air filter housing and over to the engine has two round rubber seals that join the round sections together.

It is possible for the rubber gasket or gaskets to be dislodged and allow ambient air into the air intake bypassing the MAF etc. The rubber seals may look good on top but underneath can be dislodged. If so, it is difficult to see that they are not properly engaged on the underside.

In otherwords, look closely at how well the two rubber gaskets are sealing the air ducting.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Oddly I bought a 2007 LR3 SE in Chawton white does that count....

Name:  20170409_155721_HDR_zpsqpbydn9w.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  428.7 KB

Removed the brush guard..

Name:  20170409_193107_zpsbglmkobk.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  395.3 KB

Did a lot of cleaning on the interior of it so the leather is all tan again now.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 04-09-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

-Still chasing my NAVI issue - Think I have it locked down to a power issue @ the Navi module
-Looks like I'll finally be resolving the height sensor issue as of tomorrow when I get the CORRECT sensor in and installed lol
-I'll pull off the A pillar trim and use some spray adhesive to fix that ugly mess of fabric peeling away
-I've got a dashmat to install while the A pillar trim is out. Having to stare at that air bag crack sh*t on the dash is starting to annoy me.
-Ordered in a new Aux / power port XVO5000020 because the aux port is not cooperating in making a solid connection to ANY wire that's plugged in. This would be all in an effort to achieve functional bluetooth audio streaming.
-I need to order in a new T-stat housing as I noticed some leakage recently. Not the end of the world, but I need to get that done sooner than later
-Sometime soon, I'll have to research cleaning out the sunroof drains (and making a habit of it) as well as checking both left and right drainage locations to make sure a perm C/M has been taken to mitigate leaking.
-I've also got a snorkel to install sometime Let's just say a silent prayer that I don't end up breaking 17 things to get that installed lol

bbyer (04-10-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?