LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 01:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Curious...how does your cowling look?

I wonder if it's a good idea to replace the cowling every time I replace a windshield. Seems extreme but it's only about a hundred bucks and I can't stand the warping.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Curious...how does your cowling look?

I wonder if it's a good idea to replace the cowling every time I replace a windshield. Seems extreme but it's only about a hundred bucks and I can't stand the warping.
Pristine! Neglected to mention I replaced the cowl too. I also riveted a piece of flashing over the fresh air intake "scoop" as insurance against water running in directly. I had planned to do new a-pillar trim also, but mine is in pretty good shape so I just replaced clips (new windshield came with a set) and saved the cash. Easy to do later if needed. I'd recommend doing all of these things to complete the job.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default 3M black electrical tape

I have only changed my cowling and A pillars once in fifteen years. It is not every too hot up here and I keep it parked overnight in a garage. I am probably on my fifth windscreen at least.
While I have not had to, one can tape a horizontal length of 3/4" 3M black electrical tape along the top of the cowling to the glass - not even very noticeable.

I have done the tape thing to the inside verticals of the A pillars when I thought I might have a whistling concern from the A pillars.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

bbyer, that all makes sense. All of my stuff was original, and my truck originally came from California. I'd imagine the rate of windshield replacement is much higher in your area.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Throws rocks at itself!

As best I can determine, a shortened front overhang has a downside.
We have a lot of rocks and gravel on our roads and it seems the 3 can throw rocks forward and somewhat up so that the 3 drives into them. It is OK when it is just water pushed forward and then one runs into a wall of water but when it is hard stuff, Pilkington wins again.

I was watching some of the new Defender videos and I noticed that with no rain, but splashing thru puddles, the windscreens are getting splashed to the degree that the wipers need to be turned on. It is not side-wards splash, it is forward splash.

I have often thought LR should be putting splash guards or mud flaps on the front side of the front tyres, not just the back side. I have seen fore and aft splash guards on rear tyres but never front tyres.
Maybe the problem is the front tyres turn - well that is perhaps a Weather-Tech income opportunity. Forward flaps would probably not look too good, but they would serve a purpose.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

The truck LOVES to wash itself when puddle jumping. I too think more can be done to reduce splashing up onto the windshield. Also I have a snorkel that gets really splashed a lot. I want to add a coupe "ribs" to the lower bumper corners but need to find something that will contour and not look silly. And I was thinking of some sorta thin black plastic flares that I can put just undertake factory flare to direct water more downward. I dunno, other prosperities but I have some things I would like to try.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 05:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Default throwing rocks is normal I guess

I guess the Brits are so used to rain that they think self washing is normal. Clean water is OK but here, the road puddles are some version of mud but the real concern is the hard lumps.

When I saw the splashing going on in the Defender Namibia video, normal was all I could think of.

To design a not ugly splash guard, that is not so easy.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Got it dried out and miracle of miracles she fired right up and drove on the bump stops into the garage. To start her repairs.

the ranger will be going outside to give the full space to the LR3 build

Old 04-17-2020, 02:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

...put the Coopers on the '05 today, and couldn't resist doing this.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New bumpers all around + winch

Tactical 4x4 rear bumper with swing away tire carrier, jerry can holder and side step options.

Proud Rhino front bumper, Warn winch

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?