LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I save from my donor LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 04:26 AM
mds
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I save from my donor LR3?

Hello all,

Rover enthusiast here. My garage: 2006 LR3 4.4 (purchased new), 2006 RRS 4.4, 2006 RR HSE 4.4. All over 200K miles and running great! I recently purchased a dead V6 LR3 (~133K miles) for $700. A timing chain broke, and the engine was in terrible shape. I had another LR3 that could benefit from some parts including a door, front fender, rear bumper, airbag, windshield, and a few other odds and ends. Just out of curiosity I disassembled the entire donor truck down to the frame. It was a lot more work than I expected and was a great opportunity to buy some new tools including a plasma torch. At any rate, I now have a shop full of parts and I'm trying to decide what to save, sell, and recycle. As mentioned, I have an LR3 and plan to get another as I love these trucks, so having some used parts would be nice. I have some space, but I also don't want clutter if it's unlikely I'll ever use the parts. Here are my general thoughts:

Keep:
Headlights, taillights, side markers, etc. I've had these break on me and they're easy to stash away in a tote.
Third-row seats (in case the next LR3 I buy doesn't have them)
LR Floor mats
Compressor, other air suspension components other than the resivoir
Air shocks

Unsure:
Front/Rear differentials, transfer case
Catalytic converters
Radiator, oil cooler
Airbag components (I already used the steering wheel bag)
Radio/Amp
Various control modules that aren't V6 specific
Instrument cluster

HVAC components (blower, actuators, etc.)
Front/rear seats (thought about keeping for the seat warmers because it gets cold here)

Sell:
Hood
Rear upper/lower tailgate
Other three doors (or maybe part out?)
Sunroof

Recycle/Trash:
Frame, suspension components, rotors, calipers, welded panels, block, transmission (because I'd never buy a V6 LR3), muffler
Headliner
Door gaskets
Steering wheel
Door cards/panels

The diffs, transfer case, and cats are heavy and/or awkward to store. These are the ones I wonder about the most. Because I have vehicles that have gone 200K miles without issues, I half wonder if I'll ever need them or if I'd even want to use these with 133K miles on them if I ever did need to replace versus rebuilding/replacing. I've gotten 3 times my money out of this donor just in parts for my other LR3, including the door, tires, and the windshield I was able to put into my RRS. I don't want to toss good parts I might need, but I also don't want a shop full of stuff I'll never use. What do you think I should do?

Any input is appreciated!

Old 12-30-2020, 10:42 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Cats are different on the V6... so if you're never going to own a LR3 with a V6, take them to a scrap recycler. (Wonder if I'd ever use 'em...) The V6 transmission should be the same as the the V8 far as I know. (except for the flywheel sensor on the bellhousing of the V6?) 133k isn't many miles on it but would need the usual filter/fluid change if it never had it done. The V6 torque converter is different than the V8. I wouldn't toss that. Put it up on the Classifieds section. Somebody may want it as a spare or core. Parts for a LR3 aren't worth a fortune, but if you already have them it'd be tough to just chuck 'em.

Last edited by 5280LR3; 12-30-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

agreed before mine goes to the great scrap yard in the sky it's usable bits are going on the shelf

Old 01-03-2021, 06:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 212 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280LR3
Cats are different on the V6... so if you're never going to own a LR3 with a V6, take them to a scrap recycler. (Wonder if I'd ever use 'em...) The V6 transmission should be the same as the the V8 far as I know. (except for the flywheel sensor on the bellhousing of the V6?) 133k isn't many miles on it but would need the usual filter/fluid change if it never had it done. The V6 torque converter is different than the V8. I wouldn't toss that. Put it up on the Classifieds section. Somebody may want it as a spare or core. Parts for a LR3 aren't worth a fortune, but if you already have them it'd be tough to just chuck 'em.
Each engine variant uses a different transmission, internals are basically the same but the casing is cast specifically for each type.
Which is a shame since the TDV6 is hard on the trans and V6 petrol usually have lower mileage.