LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to look for in a used LR3

Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for in a used LR3

Hello all, new guy here.
I've been looking for a good used LR3 for about a year now, and finally have found one that looks like a good deal.
2008 with 57k miles, one owner (looks to have been a suburban mall hauler).
was bought at same Jag/LR dealer that it was traded into and always serviced there. (salesman said the person traded in for new RRS)
Carfax looks good, waiting for dealer maintenance records.
The dealer let me have it for a few days to test drive.

My question is: what should I be looking for or checking out during this test period?
I know the 2 major areas are the air suspension and differentials.
What am I looking/listening for with these?
Do any of you LR3 owners have tips on how to give this truck a good testing?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling

From the sound of it, you'll be provided with all of the maintenance records. That's important.

Also, remove the metal belly pan under the engine and check to see if the front differential is leaking/sweating at all. And visually look at the rear differential, too, to see if there's any sweating/leaking with that also.

Check your instrument cluster to see what type of MPG it's averaging. If it's low, it's indicative of some issues.

Raise/lower the vehicle multiple times. Does it raise in a few seconds, or is it taking longer?

Does it shift between all gears smoothly?

My front hood struts just went. Open the hood, rear hatch. Do the struts support them firmly in an open position?

Living in New York State where they salt the roads 6 inches high when there's not even any snow, my LR3 is developing some rust on the undercarriage. Be sure to check to see if it's rusting at all.

Also, floor it on the highway wide-open-throttle... do any messages come up on the instrument console?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is a list of maintenace items and schedule. Doing things like fluid changes for differential ahead of schedule are a plus. May want to see if you can negotiate an extended warranty as part of the package.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
maintenance schedules.pdf (544.6 KB, 322 views)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM
4wd High

Thanks er1c, that's EXACTLY the kind of info I'm looking for!
obviously I've searched the forums for info about purchasing a used LR3, but not really any specifics.
I wish there was a comprehensive guide to buying a pre-owned LR...

I have checked the usual parts as they pertain to all cars: bushings, bearing wear, etc.

And Thanks SavannahBuzz, I've already dl'd that, among any other material pertaining to the LR3 that I've come across.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Whole set of shop and electrical mauals are in links below, dealer tech training info, owners manuals, etc. Enjoy. I bring up the differentials because a D1 has three times as much oil in the front diff, and is changed more frequently. The factory schedule is skewed toward leased models, shifting the service costs to the next owner. $2200 and up at dealer to replace.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-16-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't get too concerned is the MPG is low, dealerships sometimes let cars idle for a long time, which will lower the average.
And see about an extended warranty, 08 doesn't have as many issues as the earlier ones, water leaks and such, but they are still expensive to repair, a good warranty is usually a good investment, and most are transferable if you sell it before it's ended.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 PM
4wd High

so far, the only noticeable problem is that I hear a *ticking* sound from what seems to be the passenger rear tire area. I speeds/slows with wheel speed, kind of like a rock stuck in the tire (but upon inspecting, no rocks found). It *could* be coming from any where at the rear axle, but with all 4 windows down driving through a parking garage it really seems like it's coming from the right side.
Possibly a wheel bearing?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Take a good look at the rear rotor hats, make sure they look about the same side to side.
There's a small plastic plug, parking brake adjustment cover, between the lugs, right above where the wheel meets the rotor, make sure its there and no signs of melted plastic.
But most likely it's a loose cable/wire hitting a wheel weight or something. Have the service dept. check it out before you buy it.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
4wd High

found the source of the sound from the RR tire - a hose at the inner front of the tire, I don't know what it's for yet, had come out of the bracket that's supposed to hold it.
Re-inserted the hose and bent the bracket closed. no more noise.
The tire did rub on the hose, but at a point that there was a rubber coating, so only a little bit of the "extra" rubber got rubbed. I'll still have the dealer check it out.

BTW, I'm going to purchase this LR3 this afternoon! wish me luck...

Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench

At the front of the wheel is the parking brake cable, as long as it didn't rub through at all, you'll be ok.
Might be a good sign, that it was serviced and just left undone as opposed to came out of the bracket.