LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is next GPS disk due out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Yes, Nav on the Move with Faultmate

Yes, Nav on the Move can at this time be enabled with either a Faultmate or Nanocom Evolution.

The 753 hack thing was available, or more correctly, could be applied to the circa 2005 disc's but NavTeq did a software fix around 2007 that eliminated that option as soon as one installed an updated map data disc.

As such, the BlackBox people eventually resolved the issue. The required updates take onwards two hours and require that the 3 be tied to a minimum 25 amp power supply for the full two hours. If not, more than the NAV will not work any longer - then real software surgery is required.

My view is that it is not an update to be applied without some initial thought and planning.

I have often wondered if the navigation update business is not particularly profitable. I noted the comment about burning a CD or DVD being easy - and it can be, and there may be the root of the problem.

It puzzles me where Garmin, Tom Tom, Ozi Explorer and the like get their free updates from - somebody somewhere must be getting some money?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect that some of the "free" updates are funded by paid additions to the Points of Interest that are commercial - restaurants etc. A bit like Yellow Pages used to try and hustle money for ;-)

I think the problem of newer data disks is that at the moment, LR still have the "contract" but have not chosen to request new disks. I don't think Navteq would be allowed to spin out a disk for end customers without LR saying it was okay. Hence the pressure in the UK on the disco3.co.uk site to get the LR reps who hang out there to get an Official Word.

Considering the cost of the factory SatNav option, there are many customers who are understandably upset that LR seem to have left D3/LR3 owners high and dry to focus on the LR4/D4 range. With the last LR3 produced in 2008, I don't think six years out of production is a major hurdle that they should be hiding behind....

Old 05-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
Yes, Nav on the Move can at this time be enabled with either a Faultmate or Nanocom Evolution.
Yes I noticed they removed that NAV on the Move from my original disk.
The 2012 one has the screens greyed out if moving.

Not sure what Nanocom or Faulmate are. Is there an easy way to defeat this? Meaning I don't have to tear things apart to get it done.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Default no cheap or easy way to get Nav on the Move

If you have between five hundred and a thousand dollars, you can purchase a Faultmate, Nanocom Evolution or GAP IDII software programming tool. Then, with Time and Effort, get the Nav on the Move feature to function again full time, always there, no fuss - the way LR should have done it in the first place.

Time refers to the time it takes to learn how to use any of these tools which improperly used, can in the extreme, also shut your 3 down near permanently. That is why I used the word Effort as well. It takes a lot of effort to learn how to safely use these tools.

This in part explains why you cannot get a dealer to do any of the mods you can perform - it is just too tricky for the money the tech would receive. The downside is too high for the potential return.

These tools mess with the factory load software, as in replace it with usually newer software designed for the newer 3's. There is very little feedback as to what is being loaded; what is already within and what resulted - as black an art as there ever was.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok I see, a third party hack tool. I do IT and programming. The code for that resides on the disk itself. would be easier to edit the cd and reburn it. For my needs.

Those tools can do other things that I have no interest in.

I was hoping it would be just a series of hold this button down for x seconds.

My old disk if I pop it in will revert back to the way it was. I can move and use the gps. They changed the code in 2012.

Originally Posted by bbyer
If you have between five hundred and a thousand dollars, you can purchase a Faultmate, Nanocom Evolution or GAP IDII software programming tool. Then, with Time and Effort, get the Nav on the Move feature to function again full time, always there, no fuss - the way LR should have done it in the first place.

Time refers to the time it takes to learn how to use any of these tools which improperly used, can in the extreme, also shut your 3 down near permanently. That is why I used the word Effort as well. It takes a lot of effort to learn how to safely use these tools.

This in part explains why you cannot get a dealer to do any of the mods you can perform - it is just too tricky for the money the tech would receive. The downside is too high for the potential return.

These tools mess with the factory load software, as in replace it with usually newer software designed for the newer 3's. There is very little feedback as to what is being loaded; what is already within and what resulted - as black an art as there ever was.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

There is no code with the 2012 disk but the nav on the move SDR patch works. You just need the files if you have something to upload it with.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Thought I read that someone contacted navtec and was told they could not buy updates newer then 2012 cause rover is not buying

In the end makes me wish I had the chubby instead of the nav, just shove a Garmin in there I already have

This is stupid considering Honda sends the update discs free for my buddies crv

Last edited by TOM R; 05-17-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

This is another typical LR snafoo... ridiculous. I can only imagine the reasoning is something like, yes, there are hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road, but if we stop updating the old maps, people will buy new LRs. No other reason, as making new ones, is literally as simple as pushing at button at Navteq I imagine.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Default good business I gather

I think the "no updates" policy is what LR considers to be good business. I presume they cannot fathom that catering to the wishes of a few past vehicle purchasers is good business. Their argument instead is that there is no immediate money in it, hence updates are not justified.

I was wondering how other vehicle manufacturers are handling updates for their production? Apparently to update a new LR4/RRS/FFRR, the dealer has to purchase some special download cable only available thru LR. The cable has a real obscure end on it which plugs into a near hidden connector somewhere under the dash.

The dealer updater computer then has to contact some virtual download site and discuss vehicle serial numbers along with dealer id etc. At some point in the process, the download site then decides if the update should be allowed and if so, then completes the process and money is exchanged.

What this all means is that they felt the previous process did not make the important groups involved any money, hence the activity was not worth continuing.

Owners in the UK who are now installing D4 Nav's in their D3s have come upon this "no updates possible" constraint, hence switching Nav units only provides a nicer picture so to speak, but no new Nav data - they are stuck with whatever was in the unit when it was pulled. Yes, the data is probably newer than what was in their removed unit but updating at this time has not been resolved. Even with money thrown at a LR dealer, because of the serial number constraints, no updating is possible.

Above I wondered how the other manufacturers like Ford or GM are handling updates - the Honda free thing surprises me by the way.

Re GM, it is not clear that GM provides any data updates - one has to sign up to OnStar and the data arrives as you drive rather than being a preload. As to if I am actually correct in this, I do not really know but it seemed that way on a rental 2014 GMC work pickup with the fancy touch screen radio / Nav setup that I drove for a few months.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by unseenone
There is no code with the 2012 disk but the nav on the move SDR patch works. You just need the files if you have something to upload it with.
Could you please clarify?

What files does I need and where do I download them from? Link?

SDR patch? what is that and where is that located?

Quick Reply: When is next GPS disk due out?