LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is next GPS disk due out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You still need one of the devices bbyer discussed. In order to flash an ecu. I know you can get them from BBS, one seller.

Based on your posts bbyer, it sounds like they were trying to put the third party access to the data / updates out of business, have they been successful?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default LR continues at the bleeding edge.

Originally Posted by unseenone
Based on your posts bbyer, it sounds like they were trying to put the third party access to the data / updates out of business, have they been successful?
From what I understand, so far LR/Ford has been successful in that for the time being, there does not appear to be any alternative to going thru the LR dealer organization to get a NAV update on the newer LR NAV systems.

The link below is to a D4 swap thread and post as of April 20, 2015, page 25, there did not yet appear to be any update solution. No one has yet figured out how to give their modified 3, a 4 VIN. Even then, if they were successful at that, then I guess the procedure would be to pay their LR dealer to provide the update.

With regards to updates for our 3, the attitude is that there is no money in making the data available to third parties, hence no one gets it. The basic problem is that updates are free with the aftermarket systems one can routinely purchase in the stores or over the internet vs the manufacturer built in system that they charge thousands for as an upgrade and then in the tradition of billing for tyre inflation, there is the deeply held belief that great sums are due for routinely replacing outmoded data.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - D4 Sat nav in a D3

I will admit however that LR does remain on the bleeding edge of technology. It seems their key fob locking systems do not yet seem to be hackable with any available offshore systems. As such, in some places, LR owners continue to be advised to leave the keys on the kitchen table every night if they wish to potentially survive til morning.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by unseenone
You still need one of the devices bbyer discussed. In order to flash an ecu. I know you can get them from BBS, one seller.

Doing it my way, I don't need one of those devices.

The LR disks, the 2006-07 on that came with my truck works while moving, they are not greyed out.

The new disk included code to make the screens grey out while moving.

You take that disk and create a computer ISO file. Then those files are editable on a computer (any computer) using editing software the code on the disk can be edited then the ISO is reburned to a new DVD.

That DVD will have modified code to allow use of GPS while moving.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Default so you have written a patch - congratulations

Originally Posted by RAJOD
Doing it my way, I don't need one of those devices.

The LR disks, the 2006-07 on that came with my truck works while moving, they are not greyed out. The new disk included code to make the screens grey out while moving.

You take that disk and create a computer ISO file. Then those files are editable on a computer (any computer) using editing software the code on the disk can be edited then the ISO is reburned to a new DVD.

That DVD will have modified code to allow use of GPS while moving.
I must congratulate you on writing a patch for the 2012 disc so that you now have Nav on the Move in your 3.

I must say that is a skill well beyond my abilities.

I had to use the sludge hammer method so to speak - spend my money to buy the inputter hardware and then install software written by others.

With the Nav on the Move concern resolved, I guess the next project is to figure out how to install updated Nav data into our units. It seems to me that with all this public domain current Nav data out there, somehow someone should beable to compile it onto a DVD that would work in our current units. With Land Rover abandoning the market, that certainly opens up an opportunity.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I haven't really been following this thread, but I don't think the solution is as simple as editing some of the files contained in the ISO image. If I recall correctly, there was a lengthy attempt by the guys over on the disco3 board (or was it here?) to try to pull out the firmware update files from the ISO image so that the newest disc would not install the newest firmware, but would just provide the updated map data. For some reason, they could not do it.

Of course, all that was done simply in order to try and keep the hack that would allow you to input the special code and then allow to input addresses while moving. I have NEVER heard of a US disc (no matter what model year) that would allow you to input addresses while moving without some type of modification or hack. If that's the case with your car RAJOD, then I have to assume it's been hacked at some time in the past...

Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Default not easy to override the constraints

My original came from the factory 2004/2005 USA Canada Nav disc had the hack feature, but yes, unless you typed in the code numbers, you could not input addresses etc with the vehicle moving.

By about 2008, (may have been 2007), the new update disc overwrote/replaced the 2005 software and deleted the hack feature so there was no practical way to input destinations while the 3 was moving.

It was not reversible either; once you had done the update, putting the 2005 DVD back in did not bring back the hack.

Owners on both sides of the pond attempted to resolve the hack concern in a simple manner and all failed; that is what stimulated the implementation of the Nav on the Move software fix which actually LR always had for markets that were not subjected to lawyers. It was those same owners that developed the procedures that allowed all owners to implement improvements and features that they wanted as opposed to those being decided by others.

The Faultmate, the Nanocom Evolution and the GAP IDII all evolved as improvements over the SSD and T4 devices that LR had saddled itself with.

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the owner group that Land Rover sells to includes some pretty smart people. There may be other vehicles that attract drivers of superior ability but about all I can think of is perhaps the G Wagon bunch, and even then, the LR people seem to excel, be in in physical pursuits or more of the mind.

At the same time, you have to credit the LR factory people for designing something that is proving a real challenge to that select group of owners who are not in complete agreement with the direction of the factory management.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can thank some slimy attorney for having that code added. Wonder who got sued for them to alter the code. My wifes honda can use gps on the move they do not seem so concerned over it.