LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cowl change

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I use it to "tack" wires to the roof rack rails..

Old 11-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I should have looked into RTV or marine silicone before swapping the part but hey, we had some nasty weather coming in. Definitely going to try it at some point.

Would it be a better idea just to peel back the cowling seal and put RTV under that? or to seal it from the outside of the rubber without lifting? The A pillar mouldings seem pretty straightforward since they're harder.

All in all, the space under the cowling was only minimally dirty, aside from the water ingress periodically into the heater intake.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Black 3M electrical tape

I just used 3M electrical tape to seal the joint where the glass meets the plastic.

I did the same for the A pillars to eliminate wind noise.

The tape one can hardly see and creates no mess. It almost looks factory.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbyer
I just used 3M electrical tape to seal the joint where the glass meets the plastic.

I did the same for the A pillars to eliminate wind noise.

The tape one can hardly see and creates no mess. It almost looks factory.
Thanks bbyer
Just did this & got me through the last snow storm.I
ll see how long it lasts

Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Default 3M tape should last a couple of years or more.

I find that it I use 3M tape rather than off shore stuff, the tape will last more than 3 years and not leave black goo when you remove it.

I installed a new windscreen in January of this year so I took the opportunity to install a new cowling and both A pillar covers.

With all new plastic, I did not have to redo the tape as the good news is the wind noise is not present any longer either. The rubber seals between the A pillar plastic and the glass are working as they should be.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys, first post...

Just stole the LR3 after my wife stopped driving it after her new car purchase so it's mine again.

Can you tell me more about the a-pillars and what is going on there?

Thanks,

Drew

Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Default water leaks

Quite often the A pillar covers seem to be the source of either water leaks or wind noise.

In my 3, it was wind noise; with others it is water leaks or will be after a windscreen change if the covers are not re-installed properly.

Guys also remove the covers to channel a power or antenna cable up to a roof rack and then inadvertently introduce water leaks as a result of an improper or misunderstood re-install effort.

Below is a 3 page pdf from Land Rover outlining the problems and the correct procedure for installation of new A pillar covers.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...water_leak.pdf

Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Plastic clips + holes in body for clip = leaks when raining

And the cowel warps right above hvac intake so water can run down the windshield and into hvac soaking the cabin filter and hvac box

Old 01-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many thanks! So looking over the PDF it looks like the new (more pointed) clip will pierce the adhesive tape maintaining the seal. Does that sound right?

Yesterday I looked my cowl and sure enough it's starting to bow out on the passenger side.

Very excited to be driving it again as my daily. I have so much to research here. I have the 19" rims and in about a month will need tires (Pirelli Scorpion Zeros last time and were fine), I have to address the delaminated A-Pillar trim, search E-Bay for a replacement Nav computer (no nav fitted error), and will soon lube the door handles (squeak is awful). Other than that, I'd like to bring it back to it's former glory. The dull radio ***** bug me and as awesome as the leather is I think it can use some cleaning and treatment (it has never had it done). Otherwise running great.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I did not do the kit, popped off the covers , right stuff rTV around holes, popped back on, when the a pillars are off address the cowel, I sealed the splash shield on the rear of the cowel with rtv

I will probly take it back off in spring as I have decided to make a rain deflector for the hvac intake so there will be no need to worry bout the bowed cowel in the future

Some guys just glue the cowel down to the glass

Quick Reply: Windshield cowl change