LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@#$% My LR4 Does

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @#$% My LR4 Does

Much like the recent book and TV Series, "@#$% My Dad Says," this thread exists to document all the crazy experiences our LR4s afford us.

For instance, I've owned my 2010 LR4 for five months, and it has already been insightful. I learned in month 3 that my LR4 "Lanny" is definitely a male. I walked out to Lanny one evening, and the driver arm rest was pointed upward at a 60 degree angle -not unlike embarrassing moments in high school when you were called to the chalkboard. Somehow, Lanny had almost completely reclined the front seat, and the arm rest followed suit! Lanny does stuff like this, and I've yet to figure out why, or how.

Ever the Brit, Lanny likes to randomly switch his date format from mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy. I believe he also served in the Queen's Royal Army at some point, as he also shows his desire to display military time by changing from my preferred 12-hour clock.

Lanny has more cameras than Scarface's Miami mansion. Like Scarface, I think Lanny may be dealing drugs, because he often renders a blue screen on the camera he doesn't want me to see out of. As is often the case, the deals don't take long to go down, as a simple off/restart of the LR4 brings the camera back online. Last night, it was the rear view camera. Usually, he deals off the driver-side running board.

Lanny also suffers alzheimers, as he is known to completely forget every preset station programmed into the stereo. Oh, and he has bouts of larangitis, as he frequently is unable to produce any audio whatsoever - be it stereo, phone or nav.

Ever feel like you accidentally bought a crazy uncle when you were actually shopping for a luxury SUV?

Now, let's hear the @#$% your LR4 does!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Mudding

Sounds like you have a wild one on your hands. That is one hell of a funny way to present the issues.
I can't say all my experiences mimic yours, nor do I have as interesting a story to tell, but a few quirks on mine have included:
-Flashing blue camera images on the touch screen (This was addressed in a TSB)
-Language would reset to UK English and the temp controls would switch to Celsius (this appears to be an issue every time new software is reloaded or programmed)
-Sometimes, the drivers seat would not fully move into the correct memory setting unless pressed a second time (haven't has this happen in awhile)
-The back windows just didn't like to stay up at times (another issue fixed by a TSB)
-There have been some quirks with the rear seat entertainment - specifically the volume would reset to the highest level every time the car was restarted. Fortunately, I don't have the headphones on while driving.
-Along with the rear seat entertainment volume issue, there is a control issue. The users cannot change the radio station or cd from their designated control. (I just got the car back and they applied the latest software fixes for that)
and of course, my absolute favorite is the iPod feature. Listen to your music on Random All mode and navigate your way through 30 or 40 songs. Park the car overnight and when you start t up, the iPod resets back to the first alphabetic song in your list. (In speaking with my service manager today, he said this is a known issue with a software fix in the works. We should see it in two releases from now).

Good luck getting it fixed. If you have a good dealership and can be patient, they will take care of all of it. The one thing I have come to appreciate is there are likely fewer than 3,000 LR4s sold in the US in 2010. The smaller dealers may not see one in for service frequently, so it takes some time to diagnose. These are brand new and the guys are really trying to learn all the quirks.

Happy Roving!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
3rd Gear

BD, good to know I'm not alone!

You reminded me that Lanny hasn't spent much time listening to music since 8-tracks. He has trouble navigating the iPod interface. At times, if I ask him to drill down a level, for example, from Artists to the list of artists, and I don't think he has received the input, because he's taking too long, he'll lose his mind. From that point forward, screen refreshes are 30 seconds long. When I do get to the song, to show me who's boss, he simply refuses to play it!

I've had no trouble with the aftermarket rear seat entertainment system - probably because Lanny doesn't even know it's there (other than the power draw to run the screens). I thought it would suck not having the system tied in to the front touch screen but now . . . not so much. Probably the best decision I've made thusfar.

I bought mine from a small dealer, so I agree with your point they haven't seen enough LR4s to yet adequately troubleshoot. That said, I won't be mad at them if they keep the TSBs on their nightstand, so next time Lanny visits them they'll know how to remedy his woes.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by theofam
Much like the recent book and TV Series, "@#$% My Dad Says," this thread exists to document all the crazy experiences our LR4s afford us.

For instance, I've owned my 2010 LR4 for five months, and it has already been insightful. I learned in month 3 that my LR4 "Lanny" is definitely a male. I walked out to Lanny one evening, and the driver arm rest was pointed upward at a 60 degree angle -not unlike embarrassing moments in high school when you were called to the chalkboard. Somehow, Lanny had almost completely reclined the front seat, and the arm rest followed suit! Lanny does stuff like this, and I've yet to figure out why, or how.

Ever the Brit, Lanny likes to randomly switch his date format from mm/dd/yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy. I believe he also served in the Queen's Royal Army at some point, as he also shows his desire to display military time by changing from my preferred 12-hour clock.

Lanny has more cameras than Scarface's Miami mansion. Like Scarface, I think Lanny may be dealing drugs, because he often renders a blue screen on the camera he doesn't want me to see out of. As is often the case, the deals don't take long to go down, as a simple off/restart of the LR4 brings the camera back online. Last night, it was the rear view camera. Usually, he deals off the driver-side running board.

Lanny also suffers alzheimers, as he is known to completely forget every preset station programmed into the stereo. Oh, and he has bouts of larangitis, as he frequently is unable to produce any audio whatsoever - be it stereo, phone or nav.

Ever feel like you accidentally bought a crazy uncle when you were actually shopping for a luxury SUV?

Now, let's hear the @#$% your LR4 does!
Funniest, most creative post I have ever read. :-)

Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

Count Laszlo, glad to hear it!

I've decided Lanny has PTSD from his time in the Queen's Royal Army - he's a hair trigger. Pick a tire, any tire, especially the spare, and he's quick to alert me to it being 1-2 psi under! He probably thinks he's doing me a favor, but my dash is constantly lit up like an amber Christmas tree!

Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually the tpm system is designed to go on at 25 percent drop. In other words keep it at the recommended tire pressure which is 38/42 psi and you will not have a problem. if it drops quickly on tire then take a look at the tire. Plus in the summer the air pressure takes as long as three weeks to get down by 25 percent. In the winter that can drop to as little as three days to a week.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Mudding

I have had the same issue, primarily with the spare. Took it in to have the dealership show me how easy it is to lower the tire and check the pressure. It was low by almost 10 psi. Make sure you inflate it to 42.

Also, check your other tires frequently. I had mine rotated at 9,000 (meant to take care of it at 7,500). Based on the manual, fronts should be 34, and rears 42. Properly inflated tires will give you better gas mileage (like it really matters with the current mpg stats) and more importantly, will keep Lanny from flashing you with his lights!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Elsa were not running and kicking as she is, I would have sworn tha Lanny is the re incarnation of Elsa. See Elsa is a 14 years old DI that has been possessed by the spirit of the one eyed mule Elsa. Even though she only has about one percent of the electronics of Lanny, she manages to act up and spook the heck out of me.