LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 lr4 hse

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 lr4 hse

Hello all,
I haven't been on here in quite some time but now I have an issue. I looked at the archives and didn't see anything directly related to my vehicle so maybe someone can assist. I've had this Rover for 2 years (Rover #4) with no issues until now (2012 LR4 HSE w/5.0 V8 w/120K miles). It has had a bit of a rough idle but mainly just since it's gotten colder and clears up with 2-3 minutes of driving (I live in Dallas). Even with it idling a bit rough when cold it clears up and the engine light never came on until now. It threw out some fault codes but the one that caught my attention was the P2119-64 I believe with a couple other codes that were immediately listed below that code and all look associated. I don't have the full list because it's at the shop (with the codes list) but I don't have a lot of faith that my shop will diagnose this correctly....mom & pop shop. I've been doing some digging on the internet and what I've read seems to lean towards the TPS/Throttle Positions Sensor and/or the MAF might need to be cleaned? Even with the engine light on, it seems to run fine. It did stumble a couple weeks ago when I started it and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and felt like it was running on 5 of the 8 cylinders, so I shut it off and restarted and haven't had a problem since....weird. My shop did clear my codes and asked that if/or when the engine light comes back on the bring it in but we had an ice storm last week which derailed that. It took about 2 days for the engine light to come back on but has been running fine since (with the engine light on). He ran thru the codes again and there's even more...many listed are "intermittent" on the code sheet. He thinks it's a vacuum leak...he may be right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Ellis Cokes

Old 02-07-2023, 05:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It *could* be a vacuum leak, but the fact that its intermittent leads me to believe that isn't it. The full list of codes would be helpful, given that one code (I'd bet that one of the others is P2106, they often go together.) and the symptoms you describe, I'd say you should investigate the throttle body and the accelerator pedal. There is no throttle position sensor, it is built into the electronic throttle body. On a drive-by-wire, the TB opens/closes based on the signal sent from the accelerator pedal. P2119 basically says the ECM is not seeing the proper throttle position based on what the pedal is demanding and what the TB is providing. Using a scope or a scantool, I'd check the output from the pedal for spikes or flat spots. Also using live data, look at pedal% vs TB%. This should tell you which one is at fault.

P.S. - Find a different shop ASAP. If I could only pick one attribute I wanted in a repair shop, I'd pick their ability to troubleshoot/diagnose. Otherwise, they will pull generic OBD codes and throw parts at the vehicle, at your expense.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:37 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much!!! Picking it up this morning and will be taking it to another shop.