2012 LR4 engine replacement compatibility - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Go Back  Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Land Rover > LR4
Reload this Page >

2012 LR4 engine replacement compatibility

LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 LR4 engine replacement compatibility

Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Default 2012 LR4 engine replacement compatibility

I have a 2012 LR4 with 125k miles on it. Similar to other threads here, Ive been having engine problems. About a year ago, the engine started running rough which felt like a timing issue and time for a tune up. I brought it in to find out the tensioners and timing chains needed to be replaced which cost $7k to complete. All seemed to work fine for about 15k miles and then in the summer, I was driving down the highway and the engine just stopped running. The mechanic that replaced the tensioners and timing chains found that the cam caps were broken and the engine needed to be replaced. I bought a used motor which was a 2013 and was told it was compatible and they installed. After driving the car a mile from the shop I got a check engine light. The shop then replaced the manifold. Got the car back and got another check engine light. They then replaced 1 of the solenoids, but after driving again got another check engine light. I'm now hearing that the 2013 isn't compatible with my 2012. Crazy confusing and ridiculously expensive.

Has anyone had this issue?

Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 PM

Should be the same. I know for sure the long block is.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by john_greg View Post
I have a 2012 LR4 with 125k miles on it. Similar to other threads here, Ive been having engine problems. About a year ago, the engine started running rough which felt like a timing issue and time for a tune up. I brought it in to find out the tensioners and timing chains needed to be replaced which cost $7k to complete. All seemed to work fine for about 15k miles and then in the summer, I was driving down the highway and the engine just stopped running. The mechanic that replaced the tensioners and timing chains found that the cam caps were broken and the engine needed to be replaced. I bought a used motor which was a 2013 and was told it was compatible and they installed. After driving the car a mile from the shop I got a check engine light. The shop then replaced the manifold. Got the car back and got another check engine light. They then replaced 1 of the solenoids, but after driving again got another check engine light. I'm now hearing that the 2013 isn't compatible with my 2012. Crazy confusing and ridiculously expensive.

Has anyone had this issue?
where are you located?