LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 LR4 - Suspension Fault - C1A20-64 Code

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 LR4 - Suspension Fault - C1A20-64 Code

Hi,

During a rain storm, my 2015 LR4 HSE started tripping the fault code C1A20-64 with the dash warning of "Only Normal Height Available" early last week. After restarting the vehicle, the problem went away for a week. Yesterday, the fault warning returned again in the rain and went on and off throughout the day. The car isn't sagging overnight. When the fault warning isn't present, the suspension rises to off-road mode and lowers to access mode as normal.

I've read several discussions about this problem, mostly related to the older LR4s that have the Hitachi Air Compressor with the replaceable drier (dryer). My model with the updated compressor (the AMK) I've read is much more reliable.

The shop recommends I replace the air compressor. Are there other things I should test/replace first (e.g. relay, hoses, disconnect battery, pull a fuse, etc)? I don't mind replacing parts, but want to be sure it's the right part.

If I do replace the compressor, I've seen prices swing from $195-$1,000+ on Google. Some come with a lifetime warranty (FCP Euro). I don't need this to last me 100k, but 30-50k would be nice. At that point, I likely won't be driving the car regularly.

Examples -
1. https://a-premium.com/product/Air-Su...ariant=1172811
2. https://www.airsuspension.com/produc...ver-sport-l320
3. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/sus...rnott-lr061663

Old 09-20-2023, 06:26 AM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm no expert but I'm curious that you only have the problem in the rain. Have you checked the sunroof drains? There is lots of wiring in the footwells and if they aren't draining properly they can lead to an untold number of gremlins.

Wilybyrd
'10 LR4 HSE

Old 09-20-2023, 06:56 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilybyrd
I'm no expert but I'm curious that you only have the problem in the rain. Have you checked the sunroof drains? There is lots of wiring in the footwells and if they aren't draining properly they can lead to an untold number of gremlins.

Wilybyrd
'10 LR4 HSE
I too found this interesting. However, yesterday was dry and the warning light came on every time I drove the car. Still no sagging in my suspension overnight. I’ve read the AMK compressors are much more reliable than the Hitachi so I want to rule out other possibilities before replacing parts based on assumption. The car rises to Normal height and Off Road height in under 30 seconds so the error code doesn’t align with the symptom of a faulty compressor. I think

Old 10-18-2023, 10:34 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing it's your compressor. Go with an OEM compressor. I'd almost guaranty your 2015 has an AMK compressor.

That said, if you do have Hitachi and unless you have a GAP tool, switching from Hitachi to AMK is probably a no go, as you need the GAP tool to reprogram the suspension computer. AMK isn't really more reliable than HItachi. That was the rumor for a while, but I think it was just because the rumor started around the time when all the Rovers with AMK compressors were still relatively new. I read that Land Rover only switched to AMK because the Hitachi factory was wiped out in the Fukushima tsunami.

In terms of best price, source it from a UK parts supplier, like LRCentre or LRDirect. Pricing is much cheaper for a genuine AMK unit, and shipping is astonishingly just as fast as from a US supplier. Make sure you have a ratcheting box end wrench for the top bolt, or an assortment of swivelly wobbely socket extensions. With the right tools, the job isn't hard at all.

Last edited by ryanjl; 10-18-2023 at 10:36 AM.