LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best year LR4 and features to look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022 | 09:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SDLR4
He's said he has seen some. You can also see forum posts about the same problem in the V6's if you Google search it. Maybe not as prominent given the redesigned tensioner guides and pin. 2013 V8 has same redesigned tensioner system, as well as any vehicle that has since had the tensioners replaced.

I've been told problem doesn't occur if change engine oil at 5k interval.
If you know of posts of v6 timing chain problems and can repost here, I’d be interested. I’ve searched for it in the past and found nothing other than people worried about timing chains, maybe posting videos of various sounds, and people chiming in that “yeah, that sounds like timing chain.” But none of those vids sound like timing chains to me, and I’ve never actually seen any confirmation that the timing chains needed changing or are wearing out early in the V6s.

Not trying to debate it, just trying to stay abreast of any potential problem on the horizon, so I try to watch out for the posts here and on the other forums. A lot of people mention the oil change interval as well. I don’t really buy into it 100% - I’ve had the synthetics tested at 10K and they have plenty of life left. I do think 15K is probably pushing it, but haven’t tested oil that far out. Certainly no harm in changing early - I do it once a year or 7500-10000, whichever comes first. But I don’t think it really heads off a timing chain problem if one is coming.

Old 11-09-2022 | 02:44 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jlglr4
If you know of posts of v6 timing chain problems and can repost here, I’d be interested. I’ve searched for it in the past and found nothing other than people worried about timing chains, maybe posting videos of various sounds, and people chiming in that “yeah, that sounds like timing chain.” But none of those vids sound like timing chains to me, and I’ve never actually seen any confirmation that the timing chains needed changing or are wearing out early in the V6s.

Not trying to debate it, just trying to stay abreast of any potential problem on the horizon, so I try to watch out for the posts here and on the other forums. A lot of people mention the oil change interval as well. I don’t really buy into it 100% - I’ve had the synthetics tested at 10K and they have plenty of life left. I do think 15K is probably pushing it, but haven’t tested oil that far out. Certainly no harm in changing early - I do it once a year or 7500-10000, whichever comes first. But I don’t think it really heads off a timing chain problem if one is coming.
Totally understand.

Here is one: https://www.reddit.com/r/LandRover/c...y_in_comments/

Here is another, but you have to load the replies to find that the timing chain slipped: https://www.reddit.com/r/LandRover/c...ould_go_wrong/

here's another one where it turned out not to be the tensioner guides but apparently the tensioner. https://www.landroverworld.org/threa...p.31016/page-2

So it appears the problem can still exist, although not nearly as many posts about it as in the 10-12 V8 engines. Maybe the redesign helps reduce the likelihood, maybe people are shortening the oil service interval, but seems like its still a possibility.

Last edited by SDLR4; 11-09-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2022 | 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks. I don’t visit the Reddit forum much, but looks like I should. I do spend time on landroverworld.org, and saw that third post before - that’s the one that concerned me the most. The first two are interesting. Both said they listened for chain noise before and heard nothing, and in both cases the chains really slipped badly all at once (or maybe broke, which would be unusual). Both were new to the owner and both also suspected long OCI by the prior owner. One truck was used for towing.

Good data points - appreciate it!

Old 11-11-2022 | 11:53 AM
Mudding

I'm looking into both late model LR3 and 2014 and earlier LR4s (mostly due to budget) and so the timing chain issue is front of my search. From all I can tell, it's an issue from 2010-2012 but that they fixed the issue midway through 2012 so some models of that year, will have been "fixed" properly from production.

So my questions are:
1 - if the oil is changed regularly does that negate the timing chain tensioner wear and therefore make it last longer?
2 - is there any way to tell by VIN (or any other way) if a 2012 LR4 is from the "factory fixed" production models?

The last thing I want to do is buy and LR4 while being ignorant of the timing chain, so if having some kind of proper maintenance schedule with oil changes can help negate/minimze the likelhood of the tensioner failure then that's knowledge that's good for me as i look at used LR4s (which, man, people seem to overprice where I live).

Sounds like the LR3 is maybe a little more "bulletproof" engine-wise but, the interior of the 4 is so much less dated that there's some crossover here in my search. For context I'm thinking 2005-2008 LR3, or 2010-2014 LR4, depending on price and previous ownership maintenance.

Last edited by KH406; 11-11-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2022 | 12:15 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by KH406
I'm looking into both late model LR3 and 2014 and earlier LR4s (mostly due to budget) and so the timing chain issue is front of my search. From all I can tell, it's an issue from 2010-2012 but that they fixed the issue midway through 2012 so some models of that year, will have been "fixed" properly from production.

So my questions are:
1 - if the oil is changed regularly does that negate the timing chain tensioner wear and therefore make it last longer?
2 - is there any way to tell by VIN (or any other way) if a 2012 LR4 is from the "factory fixed" production models?

The last thing I want to do is buy and LR4 while being ignorant of the timing chain, so if having some kind of proper maintenance schedule with oil changes can help negate/minimze the likelhood of the tensioner failure then that's knowledge that's good for me as i look at used LR4s (which, man, people seem to overprice where I live).

Sounds like the LR3 is maybe a little more "bulletproof" engine-wise but, the interior of the 4 is so much less dated that there's some crossover here in my search. For context I'm thinking 2005-2008 LR3, or 2010-2014 LR4, depending on price and previous ownership maintenance.
The 05-08 LR3 has a reliable AJV8 engine. I had an 07 RRSC with the 4.2L version and loved it and never had an issue. The LR3 uses the 4 4L version of the same motor. Only issue i have with it is I feel the 4.4L is underpowered for the weight of the truck.

For LR4, I prefer the V8. Best is to look for 2013 model bc there's I dont know of a way of determining if a late model 12 has the new tensioner design. Maybe there's a way based on VIN and mfg date. But I'm not aware. To determine service interval, I recommend going on car shopping websites that have a free carfax report. Look at the service intervals. If description is vague, call the shop and ask what work has been done. Ask if timing chain has been replaced. Every shop I called has been helpful in providing info once you tell them why you're calling. CA shops are a bit tougher bc of privacy laws but just tell them you're not interested in the client info, just type of work. CA dealerships are also particularly too worried to provide any info, but fortunately LR dealerships usually list the type of work done in their carfax reports, although I've found they are not always comprehensive.

I don't know if regular oil interval negates the issue completely but just have been told it becomes drastically less likely. What you have to understand though is that most LR4's have now had multiple owners and likelihood they all serviced at 5-7k is unlikely.

Other problem to look for if trucks aren't serviced until late is possible issues with sludge bc its a GDI engine and clogged catalytic converters. Not prevalent, but I've seen at least 3 LR and RR total with he 5.0L engine that this issue while shopping around. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2022 | 01:08 PM
Rock Crawling

You also could try to find one where the timing chains have been redone (before disaster), or just factor the job into the price of the vehicle. Maybe find one covered by the recall (though I’m not sure how much the recall pays for - I think it depends on the mileage, years in service, etc.).

Old 11-11-2022 | 01:22 PM
Mudding

Yeah the already fixed ones are definitely what I'm keeping my eyes open for, but not all of the owners who are currently selling their LR4's have that information unfortunately so I have to dig into each one on my own and it's certainly not impossible, but it's time consuming even with a carfax. Since there's no real easy way to look it up by VIN that I have found, sounds like I'll try and focus on 2013s for the LR4, and 2005-2008 for the LR3 (with a preference for the 08s).

I live in western Montana so unfortunately there are slimmer options in the market, and there are a lot of snow bunnies buying them for status who don't care about any of these items so I think it lowers the bar of sellers needing to know full details about the tensioners - they also seem to overprice them.

Is there anyone on here that would purchase a 2010-2012 LR4 with regular oil service intervals and good maintenance, but no knowledge of if the timing chain had been replaced?

Old 11-11-2022 | 10:17 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by KH406
Yeah the already fixed ones are definitely what I'm keeping my eyes open for, but not all of the owners who are currently selling their LR4's have that information unfortunately so I have to dig into each one on my own and it's certainly not impossible, but it's time consuming even with a carfax. Since there's no real easy way to look it up by VIN that I have found, sounds like I'll try and focus on 2013s for the LR4, and 2005-2008 for the LR3 (with a preference for the 08s).

I live in western Montana so unfortunately there are slimmer options in the market, and there are a lot of snow bunnies buying them for status who don't care about any of these items so I think it lowers the bar of sellers needing to know full details about the tensioners - they also seem to overprice them.

Is there anyone on here that would purchase a 2010-2012 LR4 with regular oil service intervals and good maintenance, but no knowledge of if the timing chain had been replaced?
I would, but i would first see if a local indi shops near you would do the work and see how much it would cost, then negotiate a discount on the purchase price. Where I live the two indi shops used to do the work but now no longer do. But they are both small operations so that could be why.

Also, since you live in MT, I assume you will be offroading so you may want to find one with the rear locking diff., aka the HD package. They are out there but rare. You can use www.vindecoderz.com to determine the equipment spec by vin and its free for the first handful of searches. Once it starts requiring you pay, just clear your internet cache and you can search again for free. The rear diff will be listed as "Rear Axle Differential - Rear Axle Locking Diff [027CC]."

Old 11-12-2022 | 12:27 AM
Mudding

Awesome, thanks for that insight and the VIN decode site.

Yeah living in Montana I do my fair share of inclement weather, mountain passes, gnarly forest roads, and the occasional dried up river beds. Although I haven't ventured too far into legit off-roading culture just yet, I fear that may also be a function of the tools I have at hand - in other words I think the better tool I have for doing so, the more I will push that, lol. With that in mind I think I'd be ok without the HD for my current uses, which is good in terms of sheer numbers of LRs for sale to view, but there is one in Portland I'm looking into that had the full HD package so we'll see what happens...