LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with smokey exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 08:14 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with smokey exhaust

After bringing in my car for a coolant leak, the shop I took it to told me that I had stuck injectors. They wanted to charge me $400 per injector and $1300 in labor, so I decided to do it myself. When I went to pick it up my car no longer started and they were being real weird about it (mentioning that the new battery must be junk as they kept having to jump it, and that they're curious what I was going to do with it). This was my first red flag as the manager said it ought to be fine to start and get up onto the trailer. Anyhow I get it home and use my gapiid tool and confirmed that they were not wrong, so I ordered a bosch set from FCP for $800-I'm wasting too much time with this story let me bullet point it for you guys:
  • Swapped fuel injectors
  • Swapped new starter in
  • Swapped MEGA fuse
  • Swapped JCase fuse for starter motor

Fast forward to current state of car:
  • Car starts but has white smoke, it is not a sweet smoke smells like oil or gas
  • did an oil change to make sure that fuel did not mix with the oil from when it was stuck wide open
  • start car again and no smoke, that is until the engine RPMs drop to normal idle RPM, then smoke pours out again
  • checked PCV diaphragms, they're intact (though has crusty old oil on it, as well as my dumbass breaking tabs on the lids
  • coolant has no exhaust smell in it thus far
  • oil was not chocolate milk colored when I pulled the old
  • No codes shown besides usual phantom codes for communication for parking brake or something similar
I probably don't want the news, but do you guys think it is a blown head gasket? Is there something else that I have missed that could cause this? It's been an emotional roller coaster but I am learning a ton while doing this (and having some fun, though I wish it wasn't under these circumstances). Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!