LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L4 - how long do they last?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L4 - how long do they last?

Hi there,

Newbie (midwest USA) looking for some insight/opinions on the best year for the LR4 and the difference between V8 and V6 (in terms of potential reliability issues). From what I've read around here so far, the 2010-2013 V8 seems to be the favored range of L4's deemed most reliable. They are not too common, and most of them have around 70-90k miles. I've been Toyota and Lexus my whole life so normally that mileage wouldn't scare me, but.. well, LR has a reputation.

I like the boxy style, would much prefer a 2010-2012 but there are simply none for sale under 50k miles, which is fine, unless I'm going to have to fight and give up saving for retirement to get it to 200k. I'm looking anywhere from 2010 to 2016 .. there are more 2016's on the market with lower mileage, but have the V6. Is there that much of a difference? Is it a cr4pshoot?

Many posts like this have responses that say it all depends on how the vehicle was driven and maintained. Do I search by maintenance records? Mileage? Year range? I'm in the infancy of my LR search so I appreciate any info at all.

Last edited by criminaltoad; 07-04-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:56 AM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the reason for no responses is that one has to make a lot of assumptions to come up with an answer/use anecdotal data, so I'll give it a try. In my 5ys of ownership the number one item I have learned is that preventative rather than reactive maintenance is of utmost importance for longevity. So maintenance records would be important when buying one with higher mileage. For expected life, LR3s which share many chassis components regularly live past 200k mi and I have seen high mileage LR4s for sale pushing over 160k mi. That being said, the LR4 needs more PM work than LR3, but seems like with that to have no reasons not to go to 200k and beyond. These vehicles are not as forgiving as Toyotas when maintenance is deferred.

Wilybyrd
'10 LR4

Old 07-08-2022, 12:10 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2016 75k miles, was same as you about v8, all but one (and this LR4) vehicle I own currently is a v8. What made me decide on the '16 (and I may end up completely wrong only time will tell) was when I found the data on the engines and the newer v6 is a Ford Duratec 30 engine. Regardless of what the die hard land rover guys will try to tell you, it got a Ford engine after all. I own two AJV8's, an XK8 and an XKR, both are pretty good, the xk8 had to have cylinder liners replaced as originals corroded with new fuel standards, and is leaking at rear main seal. The XKR is newer 4.2 model/version without the liner issue, runs amazing, and even has the upgraded timing chain guides (I bought it from original owner/enthusiast that had all of the service records). It is not a typical v8 design like an American v8 (Single Cam Flat Tappet pushrod 4 bolt main 350cc Small Block Chevrolet for example), it will have failures sooner. Some have thought the 5.0 in all Jags and Rovers was Ford's Coyote 5.0 found all over their lineup, but that is incorrect it is a 100% British Jaguar V8 sharing only displacement value.

I'm really not sure though how it got a Ford motor, seeing as Tata Motors has had them since 2008. The one I purchased needs a new valve cover (I need to smoke test to find the leak) but other than that is an impressive motor, and not being turbocharged is nice to not have to think about burning up turbos. Superchargers don't "burn up"

Other than that main consideration (I'm a motor guy so I always dive into what's really under the hood) The 8spd ZF transmission is a plus, just don't abuse it as with any other ZF in history. They are built for reliability and comfort not hot rodding performance.

The last thing I was about to completely give up on the newer (2014-2016) LR4 vs the older ones was the 2 speed transfer case and locking rear. I had to wait and search for 2 months once I realized almost EVERY LR4 1 owner cream puff I found was lacking a button with highway and mountain symbol (I read it is called HD Package). I honestly can not believe people were uninformed enough to spend $70k on a new one back in '15 that didn't even have full locking ability. Might as well go buy a 2WD Jeep Wrangler! So yeah, look for that button above the gear shift, if it's got a blank installed, move on because it is only slightly better than a AWD SUV (think Suburban AWD or Nissan Murano AWD).

I hope this helps you!

Last edited by Jkline398; 07-09-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:52 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkline398
The last thing I was about to completely give up on the newer (2014-2016) LR4 vs the older ones was the 2 speed transfer case and locking rear. I had to wait and search for 2 months once I realized almost EVERY LR4 1 owner cream puff I found was lacking a button with highway and mountain symbol (I read it is called HD Package). I honestly can not believe people were uninformed enough to spend $70k on a new one back in '15 that didn't even have full locking ability. Might as well go buy a 2WD Jeep Wrangler! So yeah, look for that button above the gear shift, if it's got a blank installed, move on because it is only slightly better than a AWD SUV (think Suburban AWD or Nissan Murano AWD).!
Yeah, the lack of locker is not the issue, it's that those LR4s without that package had a single speed transfer case (no low-range). I have a 2013 LR4 with the V8 and have done a lot of gnarly back-country with it. Low-range is mandatory, lockers are optional (and hard to find in the 2010-2013s). I think you're correct that for 2014-2016 they may have been all bundled together: two-speed transfer case + rear computer operated rear diff.

To the OP's point, the V8 is great but at some point if you can't find one at the price and with the mileage you want, you may just end up in the V6 by default at which point, do what the poster above mentions and make sure that it actually has a low-range. No mountain button in the center console = no low-range. The 2014-2016s are still LR4s at the end of the day: big, heavy, roomy, gas-guzzling kick-***, fantastic trucks.

Good luck!