LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking coolant near firewall down near trans

Old 12-20-2017, 05:52 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant near firewall down near trans

Low Coolant light came on. Then added Coolant. Two days later light on again and smell antifreeze. Finally put pressure tester on it and got antifreeze to pour out near the transmission underneath. Not sure where this is coming from. Please tell me this isn't the Head Gasket. No smoking or smell from the exhaust. It seems to come from high up the firewall, yet is doesn't seem to come from where the heater hoses go through the firewall unless they go in lower down. Please help.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

First place to check is always the water pump. That's the usual coolant leak issue. I assume you've looked and it's further back than that?

Needless to say, don't drive until it's fixed. If the engine overheats the aluminium block warps easily and is wrecked. A $10k problem...

Old 12-20-2017, 07:18 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BritCars
First place to check is always the water pump. That's the usual coolant leak issue. I assume you've looked and it's further back than that?

Needless to say, don't drive until it's fixed. If the engine overheats the aluminium block warps easily and is wrecked. A $10k problem...
Thank You for your response. I called myself checking Water Pump. Is there any chance that coolant would run down the block and out the back? I did have the car on ramps (in front only).

Old 12-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by tphoodpack
Thank You for your response. I called myself checking Water Pump. Is there any chance that coolant would run down the block and out the back? I did have the car on ramps (in front only).
Could be heater core or those lines running to it

Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Isn't there a couple lines that run under the intake manifold to?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Isn't there a couple lines that run under the intake manifold to?
There are. I am hoping that is the culprit too. I found a thread where someone lifted manifold up on Range Rover and a crossover was leaking. Same engine different vehicle. I sure hope that’s it. Will update tomorrow as I am putting it on lift and will pull manifold to see. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:35 PM
6th Gear

Okay, Upon further inspection, I think my fuel pump is bad, and possibly the o rings for the oil cooler behind the pump. It is also possible that the Cross Over Hose under the intake manifold is bad too. The Mechanics at Land Rover Mobile sold me the o rings and spent twenty minutes helping me to reinstall the pump (when it arrives). They said I will almost definitely have to replace crossover hose. They also said LR4's hardly ever blow head gasket unless they run hot. That was music to my ears. I will update once I install new pump and oil cooler tube. Learned too that the plastic 90 tube on the water pump is removed by pushing in and holding the little collar down and pulling tube straight out. Hope this works. Before Breather Removed
Breather Removed
Plastic 90 top of photo. Careful not to break. I hear they are very brittle. Push all in towards pump and hold collar down and pull tube out.