LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 3rd Row & Kids...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 3rd Row & Kids...

Hey all,

So I'm considering purchasing a new 2013 LR4 and my big concern is easy access to the 3rd row for the kids...

The 2nd row seating doesn't exactly seem easy to move in order to get to the 3rd row.

Does anyone else here on the boards have their kids move the 2nd row seat to get to the 3rd row? When I'm picking up the kids from school I'd have to have them move the 2nd row seats themselves, get in the 3rd row, and then move the 2nd row seat back into position... then, they'd have to move it out of the way again to get out when they got home.

This is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger, but it seems like it might be the deal-breaker.

I have 4 kids, and 2 child seats would be permanently mounted behind the driver's seat, and in the middle seat of the 2nd row... the 2 bigger kids would be the ones going to the back. They're 11 and 8 years old.

Obviously they're old enough that I could teach them to move the seats on their own, but a sliding seat would make things so much easier...

So, anyone with kids going to the 3rd row? How much of a pain in the butt is it really?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Makes me glad I have a Kia Sedona for that duty.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Drifting

If you aren't happy with the access, go with a minivan. That's what minivans are for, carrying people.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the 11 year old would be able to handle moving the seats. It's not all that hard. Your best bet would be to take them into a dealership and see if they can do it. The other thing to take into consideration is how wide are the car seats you would be placing in the 2nd row. If they are wide, it might take a little 'moving them around' in order to put a seat down to get into the back. Also if they are wide, they might not fit side by side.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
4th Gear

Did I seriously have someone recommending a minivan to me on a Land Rover forum?

I didn't ask for advice on what kind of vehicle to purchase, I was asking about experience with kids moving the 2nd row on their own...

Sounds to me like Savannah is saying it's just about as bad as I think it's going to be.

As for the dealership test. I'm sure they could do it, I was more thinking about the speed and hassle on a day to day basis. Any of the kids could do it once or twice, but doing it 4-6 times a day, every day, could get tedious... maybe?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait - if you're only transporting 4 kids, then why not leave the one seat folded? We only have one, but our daughter loves sitting all the way in the back. We just leave one seat folded and it makes the chore of getting her in and out easy. I'm sure they could handle that. You might even get away with keeping the one seat tumbled forward.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Drifting

I recommended a minivan because it seems that your main concern is whether or not your kids would be inconvienienced. Like LabRat suggested, the common sense thing to do is go look at one in person.

That's advice you can take to the bank!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if you have a sixty forty split then put the car seats on the sixty part and use the 40 for rear entry.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LabRat
Wait - if you're only transporting 4 kids, then why not leave the one seat folded? We only have one, but our daughter loves sitting all the way in the back. We just leave one seat folded and it makes the chore of getting her in and out easy. I'm sure they could handle that. You might even get away with keeping the one seat tumbled forward.

This. Keep one of the third row seats folded. It also frees up space to haul all the kid detritus (bags, sports equip., school project.)

Then you can load third row through the hatch.

Savanna:? Second seat folds single, single, single. Was 60/40 an option at one time?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Double check with the salesman but you should still be able to get 30/30/30 but you will have to perform the same function as 60/40. Except for a minivan you are only getting either two arrangements with the seat needing be folded up and store in the upright position. Good luck but Land rover set is the same industry wide in a car or suv for a third row set up. This is because of safety standards changing. Forward facing seats are the norm. Your question isn't a land rover one but a people one.

Quick Reply: LR4 3rd Row & Kids...