LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4-Purchase Question from a LR Rookie

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019 | 01:00 PM
|
1st Gear
Question LR4-Purchase Question from a LR Rookie

Hey there.

Looking to (perhaps) join the LR community with my first LR purchase; the truck I'm considering purchasing is a 2014 LR4 HSE with just under 20k miles. I love just about everything about this black LR4 and would love to hold onto this truck for 10+ years to use for rugged (and domestic) adventures with our now-one-year-old son.

The LR4's factory warranty is now expired due to its age, and my only concern right now is the possibility we purchase a vehicle whose repairs will bleed funds away from other family priorities.

My main questions are:
  • Anyone have any thoughts as to whether/not it is worth it to purchase an extended warranty given that there are only 20k miles on the truck?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on particularly-accurate estimates (or resources for such estimates) on what repairs will likely need to be done and when (on average, of course) for an SCV6 LR4?

For context:
  • We would likely have pretty-minimal annual miles; likely 5-10k/year.
  • I brought the LR4 to a local LR dealership last weekend and it passed a pre-purchase inspection without any flags for mechanical issues.
  • After the LR4, the next vehicle model we are weighing the LR4 against (but which is not quite as desirable for us) is the uber-reliable Toyota 4Runner.

Thanks for your time in reading this, and I appreciate any thoughts and insight you can share!
Rob

Old 01-02-2019 | 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds like you've found a very low mileage model which is good for sure. And definitely impt to get full inspection.

In general they are as reliable as other similar vehicles but like other luxury cars they are expensive to repair. Don't forget that it's a $60k truck so repairs are proportional to that, not the lower price you might purchase for

Assuming no 'issues' then annual service at a dealer will run between $500-1000 per year. Cheaper if you find a good Indy
It eats brakes and tires as it's a heavy truck. Less of an issue with your mileage but prob every 15000 miles if you do a lot of start stop around town. Costs about $1000 per axle for brakes and rotors at the dealer - less at Indy and you can diy it for $200. But that won't be that frequent for your mileage

As for warranties - there are good and bad ones so read carefully. And by definition on average you will pay out more than you benefit from them otherwise the warranty company would go bust. So the benefit is it takes off the low risk of a set of very expensive repairs. Eg lots of electronics in these cars and you could easily run a few thousand dollars in repairs for electrics gremlins

A few known issues. Water pumps seem to fail at low mileage so have that checked and assume that may need doing ($700 or so). Have brakes and tires checked and adjust pricing if they are coming up.

Hope that helps! We had our 2010 HSE for about 6+ years and never any serious issues beyond the water pump. Read around on here to see the experience of others