LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:00 AM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone who has contributed their experience in this thread. I replaced my water pump today and found your input was very helpful. I was particularly careful with the small bleed pipe as some have had it break.

I was unable to get the fan off. I have the spanner wrench I bought for my LR3 a few years back that despite being the correct size leaves just enough play to slip off rounding off the nut.. not good. I had ended up buying a combo wrench that worked great on the LR3 but did not fit the LR4 since there isn't much space for the thicker wrench and pulley tool. I didn't have luck with the combo wrench and hammer either so I decided to go ahead and try without taking off the fan and it wasn't too bad. I may try buying another spanner and see if I just got a bad one.

Biggest problem I had was getting the large short hose off the water pump.. ended up using a flat head screw driver to wedge under the hose and worked around to help it off.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part

Originally Posted by Jodoma1977
I have also broken this part. Does anyone know a part number or of a part that I can substitute that will get the job done? Also, I cannot get the smaller belt back on. Is there a trick or am i not seeing a tensioner? Any help is greatly appreciated!

J.D.
What did you end up using for the small plastic peice that broke going into the water pump? Did you find a part number?

Thanks
Stuart

Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by spawnywhippet
Yes, I just removed the top hose, I saw no need to drain all the coolant from below, as the car has been leaking coolant from the water pump down the engine block ever since I bought it in June. When I removed each hose I lost a quart or so each time, which I caught in a large tray under the engine. No need to get under the car at all (except when retrieving dropped tools). The coolant top up used about 1.1 gallons.

How do you remove and replace the plastic 90 piece?

(I didn't even remove the fan as my fan wrench has not yet arrived from Amazon, but it would have been easier with the fan removed.)

Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tphoodpack
How do you remove and replace the plastic 90 piece?

(I didn't even remove the fan as my fan wrench has not yet arrived from Amazon, but it would have been easier with the fan removed.)
I also didn't remove the fan for exactly the same reason. Please view the sticky DIY thread I wrote for waterpump replacement.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

Did anyone ever figure out the plastic 90 that goes to the front of the water pump. Mine as well broke....

Old 03-11-2018, 09:50 PM
6th Gear
Default Still leaking.

Originally Posted by spawnywhippet
I also didn't remove the fan for exactly the same reason. Please view the sticky DIY thread I wrote for waterpump replacement.
i replaced the pump and the themosatat splitter tube that goes under the manifold. What else could be leaking? Can I replace the back pipe under the manifold or is that a dealer only part replacement? What is the part number? Anyone have pictures and DIY information if it is replaceable. I don’t want to blow up engine, but don’t have money to pay dealer to go fishing either. Thanks again.

Last edited by tphoodpack; 03-11-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Need to add something.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 AM
6th Gear
Default Water leak around water return from pump (pressure fitting)

Hello all,

New to the forum here, and just installed a new water pump and updated to the new two hose design (I didn't have an option as I broke the brittle elbow from the water pump). In fitting the new hose design where the water pump connects with the small pressure fitting, I am getting water leakage on pressure test and running engine. I've disconnected and reconnected multiple times and can't seem to get the fitting to seal. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:28 AM
6th Gear

You can/should replace the small pipe behind the water pump. That is often the source of leaks- this leads to the oil cooler. I picked one up for about $24 from the dealership. Make sure you also get the o-ring that goes around the pipe that leads to the oil cooler (its about $8 and will save you from having to do the job all over again).

Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ktm_525
It looks like you broke #7 ? Bleed pipe connection.
what is the check valve for ? Land rover gave me a new setup that connects to hose at thermostat but it doesnt have a check valve

Old 10-30-2019, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear
Default Leak after replacement

Hi. My husband replaced the water pump, belts, oil cooler tube & o-rings, flushed and refilled radiator. He finished yesterday. Haven’t started it because there is a transmission fluid slowly dripping from close to where the engine meets the passenger compartment. He thinks it could be the replaced oil cooler tub o-rings or the crossover pipe. Any thoughts? TIA!
Kim

Quick Reply: LR4 water pump replacement